Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best tool to use to adjust the sync screw on the carbs? I ended up using a long needle nose plier today to adjust the screw, that is a pain, if you know what I mean....

I need to do it again soon after I find the vacuum problem.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Dianna said:
3. Ensure that carbs are filled with fuel.
- If engine runs:
- run engine 10 seconds then shut off
- If engine DOES NOT run:
- '85-'89 turn fuel tap to PRI, then back to ON
- '90- up disconnect carb hoses at fuel tap.
CAREFULLY pour fuel into each hose till full
then reconnect hoses to fuel tap.

FYI... If you have a vacuum petcock, it would be easier to hook up a hand vacuum pump to petcock to get fuel flow. No need to run engine or risk spilling fuel all over.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
I knew they were going to do that to you. People just can't read and get the message anymore. So (I corrected the spelling),

I really would like to know what kind of tool you use to TURN THE SCREW to sync the carbs

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Geees.... if your gonna yell at us for the facts.....

The manual say to use a 7 mm wrench.... From Kawasaki Manual:

With engine idling, turn adjuster bolt with a 7 mm wrench to synchronize the butterfly valves.
*When the adjuster bolt is turned in. the vacuum increases on the rear cylinder.
When the adjuster not is backed out, the vacuum deceases on the rear cylinder.

**When the adjuster bolt is out of position to insert a wrench or screwdriver, work as follows.
* Stop the engine
*Turn the throttle lever a little to adjust the bolt adequately with a wrench or screwdriver.

Personal note on above... manual calls tools as 7 mm wrench and yet in instructions it throws in a screwdriver.... guess they just can't make up thier minds!!

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Sorry! Deleted my post then!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys and Gals, It was not my intention to yell.....

If anybody has tried to adjust the screw with a 7mm wrench, you will see how many burns you can recieve. I was only wondering if anyone has found a better way...

Thanks again, and sorry about the yelling.

Dave

·
Registered
495 Posts
Okay, stupid question here but have you tried a 7mm socket with an extension...? I don't know Jack about any of this... but just an idea.

kait

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Hey dta116 you were not the one yelling..... It was that troublemaker ;) cegodsey..

He was the one that was yelling..... in your favor of course.... my responce was more in fun, but took the info right out of the book that sits next to me! ;)

might try to find a flex drive ( cable ) put a socket on it and snake it through.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Would it be easier to pull the engine, get it all in sync, then put it back in? You don't have to answer that...

Hey, you any relation to Dave Taylor?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Explains what? who is Dave Taylor and ... oh, never mind.:pepper:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice looking bags for your bike Kait, (saw them on your blog) how did they turn out, did they fit? Where did you buy them from?

·
Registered
495 Posts
KowBoy said:
Nice looking bags for your bike Kait, (saw them on your blog) how did they turn out, did they fit? Where did you buy them from?
I haven't gotten them, yet. Should be Saturday! They are First Gear, I think I paid 129.95 but you might find them cheaper online.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
There is a special tool made for adjusting the sync on my KZ1000P or more specifically the BS34 carbs. It is a long nut driver tool that has a screwdriver going down the middle of it. You unlock the lock nut and then use the screwdriver to turn the adjusting screws.

Maybe they have a special tool for these carbs??? Wild guess...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fergy.....

I wonder if you can tell me what that tool is, the part#, or where I can find it.

It may be the tool I need. The size is a 7mm or slotted screwdriver at a right angle...very short right angle, the oil lines get in the way of most tools.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
By the way, I read in the shop manual to move the throttle until you can adjust the nut further.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts