Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Now that we are in a deep freeze here in Missouri (misery), its time to put the new gas tank on. My question is: while the tank if off of the bike, what else needs to be done that requires tank removal? Also any tips to switching tanks would be helpful.

This is a great forum! I don't post much but view daily and appreciate all the help and brotherhood that you guys give.
Lesa

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
I added small, clear, cone shaped, in line fuel filters. About $3 each. If I had a digital camera, would post some pictures. You want to stagger their position so they don't ride too high and cause problems with tank fitment. Ensures no crud in the tank ever gets to the carbs.

·
Registered
707 Posts
tank comes off very easily.... 3 bolts... i think 12mm.... could be wrong... but 3 bolts and i think 3 hoses... disconect the hoses first then take the tank off.... and its the same to put it back on..

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I added small, clear, cone shaped, in line fuel filters. About $3 each. If I had a digital camera, would post some pictures. You want to stagger their position so they don't ride too high and cause problems with tank fitment. Ensures no crud in the tank ever gets to the carbs.
Thanks, how many did you install?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tank comes off very easily.... 3 bolts... i think 12mm.... could be wrong... but 3 bolts and i think 3 hoses... disconect the hoses first then take the tank off.... and its the same to put it back on..
Thanks, I got the tank off easily enough. I don't anticipate any problems with putting the new one on. I think the only difference between the 700 and the newer years is that on the newer tanks there is a vent tube on the bottom that is not on my 85 and I don't connect that to anything. Right?

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
I put in two, one each on the line going to each carburetor. On my bike, the fuel lines cross just before connecting to the semi-horizontal nipples on the petcock. Not sure what the function of the vertical nipple connection is, but I think it is just an overflow or return, so it shouldn't need a filter. If I'm wrong about this line, somebody please let me know.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
You know the hose at the right side ear, the one that goes to the carb. That hose can be connected to that box under the tank. My tank has one but I don't use it. I vent the carbs out to the air under the fuel tank.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Hi All,
Now that we are in a deep freeze here in Missouri (misery), its time to put the new gas tank on. My question is: while the tank if off of the bike, what else needs to be done that requires tank removal? Also any tips to switching tanks would be helpful.

This is a great forum! I don't post much but view daily and appreciate all the help and brotherhood that you guys give.
Lesa
I would suggest that while the tank is off, to just have a good look under there at everthing while it is easier to get at.
Check all the coolant hoses that they are still supple and not getting brittle or bulging, and that the clamps are tight. Good time to do a pressure test of the cooling system and radiator cap too.
Check all wiring, that it is not rubbing on the frame or pinched between the frame and tank. Check all electric connectors are clean, plugged in and packed with dielectric grease.
Check for any cracked welds on the frame around the head or scratches that need a wire brush and touch-up paint.

This last item can be done anytime as the frame head covers are easy to get off. I notice your bike is an`85, so it is possible the black plastic head covers are looking a bit faded from the sun. I read an idea to spiff them up by cleaning and drying them well, spraying with black paint then immediately wiping the paint off. It supposedly leaves them looking like new. Good luck with the tank change and maintenance Lesa. The misery can`t last forever. Spring is just around the corner. :smiley_th

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I put in two, one each on the line going to each carburetor. On my bike, the fuel lines cross just before connecting to the semi-horizontal nipples on the petcock. Not sure what the function of the vertical nipple connection is, but I think it is just an overflow or return, so it shouldn't need a filter. If I'm wrong about this line, somebody please let me know.
The 3rd line goes to the intake. It cuts the fuel on and off. Off when there in no vaccuum and on when there is vaccuum from the intake while the engine is running. This way you never forget to cut the fuel off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts