Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new gas tank on the way. Mine has rust on the inside, not enough to have caused me any problems yet, but It's been a bit of a worry. The new tank is also a different color scheme, and I have been wanting to get rid of the teal. The one I bought is supposed to have been taken off a new 2000 or 2001 and put on a 93, which then died and got parted out. He said it only had fuel in it for a few days. I am holing it is in as ggod a shape as he said. The new color is black and charcoal silver. I have chrome side covers already, so the only other teal parts are the fenders, which I bet I can get painted fairly cheaply. I may just sand them and spray paint them gloss black.

Anyway, how hard is it to switch the tanks out. Are there any hoses or anything else that I will need to replace?

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'd go ahead and replace the hoses, vac and fuel, since the tank is gonna be off anyway. That way you'd know they're all good.

Pulling the tank is pretty straightforward. Pull the hoses off the petcock, pull the seat, then undo the three bolts holding the tank on the frame, and pull the tank up and back. Swap the petcock over to the new tank.

To replace, reverse the process, being sure to get the tank dampers lined up properly.

I might be interested in your old tank, if the price was right.

Jim

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Three bolts, a couple hoses and the wiring for the fuel guage. I think the hardest part is removing the seat lol.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Make sure you get the gromets back in the way they came out.
If you do not get them in right and tighten to tight you can crack the tabs off the tank.
Other than that it is easy.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
I would also replace the gaskets too. One of those "while you are down there" things...

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
Make sure you get the gromets back in the way they came out.
If you do not get them in right and tighten to tight you can crack the tabs off the tank.
Other than that it is easy.
I had a mechanic do that for me once. Ended up being the excuse I needed to repaint the bike as the new tank didn't match the existing paint.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, thanks. I don't know what's going to happen with the old tank. My friend who bought the bike tvs587b had has a problem with his tank. For some reason it doesn't vent properly. Tim layed it down in a ditch, and had someone replace his dented tank with another used one. It has a different looking gas cap. I don't know if the tank presurizes or vaccuums, but when he get's low on fuel he has to open the tank to either let air in or out, not sure which, or his bike will die. We may try to treat the rust and put mine on his.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Don't forget the rear lines on the tank!! If you have a CA bike, there will be two, if not it is just the fuel overflow.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hey, thanks. I don't know what's going to happen with the old tank. My friend who bought the bike tvs587b had has a problem with his tank. For some reason it doesn't vent properly. Tim layed it down in a ditch, and had someone replace his dented tank with another used one. It has a different looking gas cap. I don't know if the tank presurizes or vaccuums, but when he get's low on fuel he has to open the tank to either let air in or out, not sure which, or his bike will die. We may try to treat the rust and put mine on his.
It's creating a vacuum, and it's probably the vent valve in the cap; mine does the same thing sometimes. Easiest thing to do is get rid of the vent valve, altho I ain't gotten a"round to it" yet. Sometimes all it needs is cleaning out; you get the same gum/gunk in the vent valve as you do in the carbs.

Make sure the tube inside the tank from the cap vent to the drain tube is clear, too; blow some air thru it with the cap open.

I've come across two instances where the rubber grommet seal at the end of the tank tube, under the gas cap, was deteriorated enuff that a loose piece of it would block the vent, also.

Jim

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now I have a question about replacing the petcock. It looks like on the new tank there is some kind of adhesive and/or seal where the petcock was. What is this stuff? I assume this will need to be used when I attach mine to the new tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts