Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutch lever got broke and I went to replace it. When I did replace it, I broke of the black post that is compressed when the clutch lever is pulled in. Can anyone tell me what it is? I was looking through my clymer manual but could not find out what it is.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
My clutch lever got broke and I went to replace it. When I did replace it, I broke of the black post that is compressed when the clutch lever is pulled in. Can anyone tell me what it is? I was looking through my clymer manual but could not find out what it is.
That is the starter lockout switch.
Be careful. I am not sure, but that broken switch button may allow the starter to crank with the tranny in gear and the clutch lever out. Ouch, could lead to a fall down on the driveway.
Not good. :( Replace the switch asap.

Link to Bike Bandit schematic:
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2006-kawasaki-vulcan-750-vn750a6f-49-state-spec-us/o/m4552#sch438007

#27010 on the diagram
Parts listing calls it *Switch, Clutch*----796617----573132-001-----$20.28

·
Super Moderator
11,927 Posts
That is the starter lockout switch.
Be careful. I am not sure, but that broken switch button may allow the starter to crank with the tranny in gear and the clutch lever out. Ouch, could lead to a fall down on the driveway........

Yes, you will end up with a bike that works like every bike before they had idiot switches.. Meaning you are supposed to be smart enough to make sure the bike is either in neutral or the clutch lever is pulled in before you hit the starter.

Folks also used to be smart enough to pull up the kickstand before taking off..... and had the choice to turn on their headlight when they wanted to.

We didn't have stickers warning us the exhaust pipes get hot or that gasoline was flamable.

Welcome to the liability paranoid world of stupid bikers.......;)

KM

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Good site to know about Ron.
I just added it to my favorites.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Mine has been fubarred for quite awhile. It doesn't let the bike start while in gear if it's busted. Infact quite the opposite. If the bike is in gear, even with the lever pulled in, it wont start. My bike has to be in neutral for it to start.
Not that I know for a fact that's how it works, but that's what mine does with a busted clutch switch.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Mine has been fubarred for quite awhile. It doesn't let the bike start while in gear if it's busted. Infact quite the opposite. If the bike is in gear, even with the lever pulled in, it wont start. My bike has to be in neutral for it to start.
Not that I know for a fact that's how it works, but that's what mine does with a busted clutch switch.
Well, when the whatever flew from the tires of the semi I was meetin and broke mine, I just remember it would not start with the starter but could be pushed off...
Can't remember but I may not have even tried startin it in neutral...:doh:...
But the switch was not too expensive...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Super Moderator
11,927 Posts

The difference here is whether the switch was stuck open OR closed when it broke. Yours allways "thinks" the clutch lever is pulled in.

KM

·
"ya can't live forever"
321 Posts
Just cut the wires and connect them together. Of course you'll have to be smart enough to pull the lever when starting the bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts