Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting to one'n'all

One of the things annoying me at the moment is the switch cluster on the throttle side rotating on the bars despite the screws being tight. It doesn't do it whilst riding of course, only when pushing the bike around.

Has anyone out there come up with a definitive method of preventing this?

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Normally, there is a small tab on the switch housing that goes into a small hole in the handle bars to keep it from moving.
If that tab is gone, like you are experiencing, the housing will rotate.
One thing you could try is to get a thin strip of rubber to go between the housing and the bars.
A strip of sandpaper (cloth backed would be best) could probably also work well.

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
Two other ways to tighten. 1. lay a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface and sand off some of the mating surface of one half of the housing. 2. Using a very small center punch dimple the rounded area that clamps around the bar.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Normally, there is a small tab on the switch housing that goes into a small hole in the handle bars to keep it from moving.
If that tab is gone, like you are experiencing, the housing will rotate.
One thing you could try is to get a thin strip of rubber to go between the housing and the bars.
A strip of sandpaper (cloth backed would be best) could probably also work well.
A strip of aluminium from a beer or soda can also makes a good shim

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input fellas.

I'll look into these ideas after the festivities. She who must be obeyed is quite understanding, but fiddling with my bike on Christmas or Boxing day might be pushing it too far!!

It'll be better than watching The Great Escape again though! As much as I like Steve McQueen, you'd think that after all the practice he's had, he'd be able to jump that bloody fence by now!

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Steve McQueen was the greatest. Jerry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts