Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Right, another question, I've stripped the bike to the bare frame and during the refit of the swing arm, I noticed according to the Haynes manual that there is 2.5mm free play in the swinging arm. This is after fitting both lock plates, 2.5mm feeler gauges between the arm and frame on the left (shaft side) tighten up and lock nut on the right, remove feelers, and run the screw on the left in until it touches and lock the nut.
What I can't understand is that surely both tapered bearings will be very slack (IE: there will be 2.5mm of float in the swinging arm) I'd have thought that for the two tapered bearings to work correctly there would have been minimal clearance, similar to the headstock bearings? Am I missing something or is the Haynes manual wrong?
Cheers,
Neill.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mcinturff, your right, just whilst having a shower there I had a rethink, and yes I am a numpty! Funny how you get somthing into your head!!!! Of course the 2.5mm is to centre the swinging arm with the screw on the right, the the screw on the left (with 2.5mm feelers out) takes out all the slack!
Funny, us fitters tend to over think things! Lol! 😜

1 - 3 of 3 Posts