Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I have my bike in bits, I was planning on re-greasing the swingarm bearings, and giving the swingarm a quick coat of paint. The problem is that I can’t get the swingarm shafts out from either side.
According to the manual, “While holding the swingarm, pull out the swingarm shafts using a suitable bolt or screw”, it should be fairly easy, but I’m having no luck. I’ve already bent a couple of bolts that I used trying to lever it out, so I’m just about to give up on the idea of removing the swingarm.
Any advice??

Attachments

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
No real advice. I don't know anybody that has ever done this. Just looking at the pic, the thought "flywheel puller" comes to mind. I'm sure it's probably not like that, though.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
The shafts should not be that tight unless they have been in there for years without regular greasing. Mine came out fairly easily when I took the swingarm out to replace the driveshaft & final drive after the splines stripped. If yours are tight then you should be able to make up some sort of slide-hammer to attach to the M5 bolt that you screw into the shafts.
When replacing them make sure they are well greased, the same applies to the bearings. Also, you need to make sure the bearings are adjusted correctly. :beerchug:

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I'm with Ernie (from across the big pond) on the slide hammer attack.
It does look like a good bit of rust in there. Let some penetrating oil soak in for awhile, then try.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips fellas. :smiley_th
I soaked them in some WD-40 overnight, and let rip with a mallet and some vice grips today. I managed to get the right side out without too much hassle, but the left side is proving to be a bit more stubborn. I might have to use a bigger hammer, lol..

As you can see from the pic, the R/H shaft has a fair amount of surface rust on it, so it's no wonder that they were so tight.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Yeah, I can see why you had so much trouble now. Hope you get the other one out OK - i'm sure you will with a bit of persistence.
I've often wondered why Kawasaki didn't drill & tap 2 M5 holes opposite each other so that the shaft can be pulled evenly rather than "one-sided". Obviously they couldn't put a hole in the middle because of where the adjuster bolt sits.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Success

Well after 20 minutes or so of more hammering on the L/H shaft, I discovered that with one side removed, the swingarm can drop and slide off the remaining swingarm shaft. :doh: It was then easy to drive the left shaft from the inside out with a mallet.
With the swingarm shafts in such a rusty state, I imagine that the bearings can’t be in very good shape either, so I’ll be getting them replaced while it’s apart also.

Ernie said:
I've often wondered why Kawasaki didn't drill & tap 2 M5 holes opposite each other so that the shaft can be pulled evenly rather than "one-sided". Obviously they couldn't put a hole in the middle because of where the adjuster bolt sits.
I agree that having one tiny hole that's offset is definitely an odd design for removing the shafts. It seems that there's a few unusual designs on the VN, ( 4 cam chains on a V-twin??), but I guess it was engineered in the eighties.:)

·
Geek
872 Posts
They probably have a "Special" tool that you can purchase.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I'm not sure about our vulcans, but with dirtbikes it takes the pressure off the swingarm bolt if you lift the rear tire a couple of inches.

But... sounds like you got it.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Peanut Butter Blaster?????

1 - 13 of 13 Posts