Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost a swing arm cap. Shipping costs more than the part buying new from either RonAyers or Cheapcycleparts. For godsake it will fit in an envelope and go first class maiil for 59 cents! (same thing for the damn exhaust gaskets) what a f&%king ripoff.

Anyone got a cap in good shape they can spare?

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Anyone got a cap in good shape they can spare?

You can also pick 1 up up your local Kawi dealer and save shipping cost due to they place orders daily. I am thinking they charged me like $12 or so.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I lost a swing arm cap. Shipping costs more than the part buying new from either RonAyers or Cheapcycleparts. For godsake it will fit in an envelope and go first class maiil for 59 cents! (same thing for the damn exhaust gaskets) what a f&%king ripoff.
I just go to the Hardley dealer for the crush gaskets. Some say they're too small, but mine have been working just fine for nearly two years now. $8 or $9 for two.

As for the caps, yeah, your probably best off finding someone here parting out a bike (that hasn't also lost the caps!)
Another option is...... a lot of parts store sell 'emergency mirror replacement kits' for car side view mirrors. These are thin plastic sheets with a (nearly) mirror finish. Easy to trim to size with scissors to fit completely inside or on the outside lip of the openings of the swing arm. A few dabs of silicone and you're good to go. And if ya lose one of them, ya still have plenty of material to make more.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
I have 2 sets form a couple project bikes that are not Vulcans but they're Kawis. I'll check them on my Vulcan frame tonight and get back to you on if they fit.

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
My better half has a Harley, go easy on her she used to own my Vulcan and gave her to me when she bought her Sportster. Anyway, while on the Harley Dealer web site last night they posted an add on the front page that said they have heard us and lowered their oil change from $125 to $70! And you thought a plastic, shiny cap was expensive!

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the Harley Dealer web site last night they posted an add on the front page that said they have heard us and lowered their oil change from $125 to $70! And you thought a plastic, shiny cap was expensive!
Well Cliff, I would have to think that wasn't relevant since her better half would be changing her oil for her and she'd not be going to the dealer, right? :)

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
She's way to smart to be sucked in by the Harley shop; I'll be doing the oil I just thought it was outrageous that Harley riders actually paid $125 and now they are getting a bargain at $70? I should post an add on craigslist for Harley owners, I'll put high compression air in their tires for only $80, both wheels.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Don't forget to use some silicone on the replacements, when you get them. I read that tip on this forum last year, check mine at the time and sure enough, they popped off little resistance. Siliconed in place now as well as a dab on the trunk lock (heard that falls off too).

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Don't forget to use some silicone on the replacements, when you get them. I read that tip on this forum last year, check mine at the time and sure enough, they popped off little resistance. Siliconed in place now as well as a dab on the trunk lock (heard that falls off too).
Ahhh, you learn well, Grasshopper!! LOL

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
I just go to the Hardley dealer for the crush gaskets. Some say they're too small, but mine have been working just fine for nearly two years now. $8 or $9 for two.
Same here.

And when you find & buy that cap don't tempt Murphy by buying only one, otherwise, sure as ****, the other side will pop off soon after installing the new one. :doh:

·
Registered
950 Posts
He doesn't like the word 'friendly', wow what a jerk.

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If no one here comes up with one within the week, I will buy just one from the local dealer at their inflated price, along with a couple exhaust gaskets. The one I have is now sitting on the bench looking virtually new. Then I'll silicone them both on at the same time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
swing arm cap.

I went looking in my box of junk from stripping my vulcan and found 1 cap. It looks a little rough but if you want it you can have it. I am sure you can probobly clean it up. Time to get to tearing it down some more. Let me know if you want it. My wife says the bike has to go. E-bay here I come. Craig I will pay for the shipping, I dont think .75 cents will kill me. LOL!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts