Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That darn outer swing arm cap came off of me mid ride. Is it fine to ride without it? Would any dirt get in there and damage anything related to grease or lubricant?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been wondering that myself. When I bought my bike last month it had a missing cap. Taking a look, it does seem harmless to ride it that way. Figured I would eventually find another out there at some point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Tinkerer
572 Posts
No real damage will happen, I'd tend to put a bit more grease around it, means any dirt will stick to the grease instead. A lot of guys silicone the swingarm caps in place, unfortunately they have a tendency to pop off :(

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
rode mine for years without it

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
whats a swing arm cap??

oh, that decorative cover for the swing arm... only seen pics of them, mine has been missing for who knows how long (were missing when I got bike)

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
doc tape is way cheaper and way cooler

·
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member
249 Posts

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts

Reactions: eusjma

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
I bet the water and dirt makes a mess of swingarm bearings without covers. Ebay is the best place to find them, new OEMs show up sometimes. There's some on there now, brand new, but they look they've been in a dirty tool box for 15 years.

Yep, I lost mine, got a pair of new ones for $12. Had to lightly sand the inside edges so they fit the hole better, then glued with silicone. They pushed back out on their own before the sanding.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
I bet the water and dirt makes a mess of swingarm bearings without covers. Ebay is the best place to find them, new OEMs show up sometimes. There's some on there now, brand new, but they look they've been in a dirty tool box for 15 years.

Yep, I lost mine, got a pair of new ones for $12. Had to lightly sand the inside edges so they fit the hole better, then glued with silicone. They pushed back out on their own before the sanding.
the covers are for looks,as they are sealed

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Ya, but they are hell to remove when they're seized to the swingarm.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Dammit, knifemaker strikes again. I don't remember seeing "Silicone the swing arm covers" on the list, and I would have had to research a bit to figure out what you were talking about.

But of course, I lost one on a ride the other day. I heard it, too. I couldn't figure what it was, didn't see anything in the mirror, and I wasn't even entirely sure it had come from my bike. I just heard this weird sound.

I forgot all about it, until I was looking at my coolant level yesterday and noticed that my cap is missing. I looked into obtaining a replacement tonight, and it's probably more expensive than it's worth, but it's true that it looks better WITH it than WITHOUT it. So, I'll put it on the bike list, but it's not going to be very high on that list just yet.

It's not a big deal, but this is an 86. These caps might not have been original, but they might have. Regardless, I bought an 86 that had two, and now it has one, and that makes me feel a little dirty.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well I don't know about a factory replacement, but the front bearing/spindle cap for either a 94 Ford Ranger or a 94 Jeep XJ will fit.
My 86 only came with one, and while looking through my toolbox I found a Dorman replacement cap for, I think, the Ranger. Tried it on for curiosities sake, and boom, fit.
Part # 618-503. has a height of 1.13-inch, inside diameter of 1.88-inch and the outside diameter is 1.14-inch.

It isn't the same shape, but it's pretty close, and most parts houses will have it in stock.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts