Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

Some time in the near future, my bike is going hard tail. I have looked over the various projects about doing this. However, there is a concern I'd like alleviated. Will the flat bar cause any alignment issues with the rear end? I am considering mounting them in one of 2 locations: the stock shock mount; or on the frame under the seat (the junction point).

Any thoughts about this would be appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: what size are the shock mounting bolts? Are they by any chance 1/2 inch? If so, I found a set of pre-made 10" struts by biltwell. Like to use those if they wold work. Thanks.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
First dont use flat bar...it flexes and will warp...use tubular steel, with the ends flattened and drilled (can even use blackpipe)....lowering will cause change in rake, and WILL affect your steering...you can counteract that by either dropping the fork tubes in the tree, or using a smaller diam front rim.
But if yer goin rigid bro, make sure yer seat got springs on it !... :smiley_th

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
First dont use flat bar...it flexes and will warp...use tubular steel, with the ends flattened and drilled (can even use blackpipe)....lowering will cause change in rake, and WILL affect your steering...you can counteract that by either dropping the fork tubes in the tree, or using a smaller diam front rim.
But if yer goin rigid bro, make sure yer seat got springs on it !... :smiley_th
Don't worry, I'm getting a dual shox seat kit. The site also sells bolt-on adapters for the rear portion of the seat. The front will be welded to the top side of the piece where the stock seat slides in.

Like I mentioned, I found pre made struts, but they have to user 1/2 inch bolts. I don't know if our bike has those or not. Would make life easier. If not, I guess I could drill and tap. I did find another site which make custom struts. Basically tell them what you want and they will build it.

Here's the site with the bolt-on seat stuff: http://www.kickstartchopperparts.com/home.html

Here's the other site for custom built struts: http://pingelonline.com/custom_struts.htm <- I'm guessing I would want the eyelet style strut?

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Ya definitely want the eyelet, since it mimics our shock...

Nice site that KickstartChoppers ...:smiley_th

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I contacted pingel about having them fab a pair of struts for our bikes. It will prolly be Monday before I hear anything.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Too bad you aint local bro...else I'd make ya a set for the cost of materials...

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Too bad you aint local bro...else I'd make ya a set for the cost of materials...
That's a nice offer; but, I think pringel can chrome them, which would match the chrome / flat black color scheme I am wanting. I am finding myself calling my bike Black Betty now since getting the tank from slim. Seems fitting if ya ask me.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am curious though, with the frame removed from above the rear wheel, how much could I drop the rear w/o causing problems to the drive train?

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you remove the frame, you can go about 2 feet lower i believe.. but i wouldn't go lower than 4-6" without raking the front end to compensate
2 feet! Sheesh, I'd be scrapin pavement! I won't go that low, was just curious of the limits.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
well with the top of the frame gone the tire wont hit anything.. the bottom of the frame will be the limit then, and what ever you do for a rear fender.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well with the top of the frame gone the tire wont hit anything.. the bottom of the frame will be the limit then, and what ever you do for a rear fender.
If I do a rear fender. I like the exposed rear-end look. I know it'd suck during wet weather, but that's part of the fun. Might even put a car tire on the rear when the current tire gets worn.

Slim, did you know that tank you traded me is an 85? I saw the date stamp on it, it finished 3 days before my 3rd birthday. Thought that was interesting.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I didn't know what year it was from.. I got it in trade for some other parts I had lying around. I wanted to use it for the donor of my tank chop.. but couldn't bring my self to cut it...

·
knees in the breeze!!!
498 Posts
to the OP the shock studs are 14mm a touch over 1/2 inch so you could ream them out a bit and make it work.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
to the OP the shock studs are 14mm a touch over 1/2 inch so you could ream them out a bit and make it work.
Sweet, that'll be easy to modify.

If you don't have a bad back now, you will.
I will be installing a solo seat kit with dual seat shox installed. That should provide some relief for the back. This may sound dumb, but I am thinking about not finishing the seat, leaving it bare metal. Figured it would look good with the chrome / flat black theme I have going.

Too bad I can't do all the work at one time. It'll be had part by part then assembled once I have everything I need.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Just a heads up on ANY stamped dates...thats the date of manufacture, not necessarily the release date...so if it says say, 10/85, was probably made for an 86....

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just a heads up on ANY stamped dates...thats the date of manufacture, not necessarily the release date...so if it says say, 10/85, was probably made for an 86....
Still interesting it was made 3 days shy of my 3rd birthday.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts