Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does changing the oil in the shocks,really make a difference,I am a big boy over 250( I know the tree huggers say that us fat people are contributing to "global warming") but what I am concerned about here is suspension bottoming out on places I don't think it should.Today I rode up to Williamson WV on the river road to the Kawasaki shop,Then dropped by my buddies place off employment so we could ride back together,when we left his job we ran across what I call a weather crack in the road that was obviously worse than I thought and THUd,THUD ,both ends bottomed and jarred my back so hard it is still hurting,Ted rides a CBR 1000RR and it didn't affect him at all,I know we are in two completely different riding positions and posture makes a difference in how well we absorb shock,But I was behind him,Imagine that,me being behind that rocket,but at the time we were in a residential area gong very near the posted speed limit of 35 and I never saw his bike move very much at all and I watch for these things when riding behind some one else,Question is will changing shock oil and adding more air, I am running less than 10psi now,and fork oil make much of a difference and if so recommendations , It also gets a little squirrelly when pushed in the twisties,I think I need a better rear shock with some real adjustability built in and some progressive rate springs in front,but until then a cheap fixit for this season is what I am looking for,Denny ( could slow down some ,NOT!!! that is what the Corolla is for)

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
I dont have the answer that youre looking for but I might have another solution for you. I went with putting some Harley Dyna shocks on my ride, it lowered the bike to the desired height (they are available in 13" as well) that I was wanting and it stiffened it up by quite a bit. I no longer get that spoungy feeling when I hit a dip or bump in the road anylonger like I used to with the stock shocks. So if you want a stiffer shock without paying the progressive prices think about the stock Dyna's.

Peace:beerchug:

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man,did you find yours on ebay?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Well I won't admit to being a pro on suspension by any means. But for one, I have read on here that the air pressure should be calculated as 10% of the weight be carried by the bike. Which would include yourself, all the gear that you generally wear, and any accesories, i.d. bags, extended back rest. So if it was 250, it would be 25 psi. You get the idea.
Now I just recently changed the oil in the rear shocks. I went with the 10w fork oil. Personally I think it helped some. I don't bottom out as easily. Now I weigh about 175, and with my gear and accesories about 200. I think the 10w may have been too stiff. I think that maybe the 5w would have been fine. Cuz it would have been clean oil. But I could have mixed and made 7.5w oil. Even today with my wife which with her gears adds about 130, the bad spots in the road were really harsh.
Now I made the mistake this year of doing too many mods before really riding. The mistake here being, is forgetting how things were. And not having my wife on at all before doing these mods. Like the suspension, she doesn't notice a difference, cuz the last time she rode was Nov 1st of last year.
So all in all. Up the psi, change the oil, easy easy and cheap to do. And do like I am doing and save for new shocks. I have seen Progressive's base 412's on sale for a little over $200. and the front springs for $80. The rears are easy to change at least.

·
Registered
950 Posts
That is a better deal then progressives. But don't a lot of harley guys switch over to progressives cuz the stock shocks suck?

·
Registered
45 Posts
well, changing the shock oil is a cheap possebility to modify the shocks. But the vulcan is a motorbike with a technic of 1985 or even earlier. Suspension
became much better in the meantime.

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
That is a better deal then progressives. But don't a lot of harley guys switch over to progressives cuz the stock shocks suck?
Well the way that I see it the Dyna shocks are an improvement over the Vulcan stock shocks. In other words "One mans trash is anothers treasure". Besides, I have discovered, Harley owners seem to always want the highest priced items for their rides, improvement or not.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I dont have the answer that youre looking for but I might have another solution for you. I went with putting some Harley Dyna shocks on my ride, it lowered the bike to the desired height (they are available in 13" as well) that I was wanting and it stiffened it up by quite a bit. I no longer get that spoungy feeling when I hit a dip or bump in the road anylonger like I used to with the stock shocks. So if you want a stiffer shock without paying the progressive prices think about the stock Dyna's.

Wkrizan, did you use the 11" Dynas to lower it? How much lower?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Well the way that I see it the Dyna shocks are an improvement over the Vulcan stock shocks. In other words "One mans trash is anothers treasure". Besides, I have discovered, Harley owners seem to always want the highest priced items for their rides, improvement or not.
Good point. I know the OCC boys use progressive in all their bike builds though. They also use the Metzeler ME880 tires too.

Like the helmets they get are actually made by KBC. Kinda funny too. All American Company, helmet with our LOGO, made in Korea.

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Wkrizan, did you use the 11" Dynas to lower it? How much lower?
Yes I used the 11's and it lowered it by 1.75" Perfect for the wife now (her feet touch flat), once I save up enough scratch to purchase a bigger bike I'll turn my lady over to my other lady. Once I said that to her, the smile on her face was priceless.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Then you were like SYKE, gotcha...

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Then you were like SYKE, gotcha...
Well, I will allow her to think it's hers anyways. Either way it won't ever be sold, I've put to much blood and sweat into her to ever get rid of it (not to mention the money in customizing her).

·
Super Moderator
11,858 Posts
Like the helmets they get are actually made by KBC. Kinda funny too. All American Company, helmet with our LOGO, made in Korea.

You do of course realize how many parts on a Harley are not made in the United States?

As T.O.M. said, the Vulcan shocks are just old technology, The Harley shocks, being newer, (but still made in Japan) are just better.

I'd put about 30lbs in each shock there Denny, changing the oil can help some, but as I said before, you are better off finding something to replace the stock shocks with.

KM

·
Registered
950 Posts
You do of course realize how many parts on a Harley are not made in the United States?

that might explain why the quality and reliability of harley has gone up.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

As T.O.M. said, the Vulcan shocks are just old technology, The Harley shocks, being newer, (but still made in Japan) are just better.

I'd put about 30lbs in each shock there Denny, changing the oil can help some, but as I said before, you are better off finding something to replace the stock shocks with.

KM
I do believe that these shocks are the hardest thing I ever tried to get the air equal in I have ever seen,I believe that a different shock is the way to go,these things are junk,Denny

·
Registered
950 Posts
yeah they are. I was thinking that the oil change made everything better at first. but I think it may have been the road, it was an actually smooth road. which is a rarity around here. I think I went with too heavy a weight of oil too. I did 10w I shoulda done 7.5w.

I know for equalizin air pressure that Progressive has a kit that connects the right side to the left and you fill from the left.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts