Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am about to do that dreaded job that everyone who has done it loves to hate and that is pull my carbs. This time I am removing the surge tank.

The question I have is, is it possible to remove the surge tank before I remove the carbs so that isn't in the way?

Grace and Peace to you.
Richard

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Yes, have to cut it up or...

If you want it out in one piece, all the wiring plugs under the seat area must be disconnected and the harness pulled forward out of the frame. The airbox will then slide to the rear and out in one piece.

Didn't know when I did it, but that info is actually in the repair manual.

·
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member
249 Posts
Yes, have to cut it up or...

If you want it out in one piece, all the wiring plugs under the seat area must be disconnected and the harness pulled forward out of the frame. The airbox will then slide to the rear and out in one piece.

Didn't know when I did it, but that info is actually in the repair manual.
So... when Kawasaki designed this bike were they just in a really bad mood at the time? It's like the designers and engineers got together and decided to design a motorcycle that would serve as a psychological experiment, just to see how much people really liked their bikes.
:drool:

·
Super Moderator
11,819 Posts
So... when Kawasaki designed this bike were they just in a really bad mood at the time? It's like the designers and engineers got together and decided to design a motorcycle that would serve as a psychological experiment, just to see how much people really liked their bikes.
No, like many engineers, they designed the bike under the assumption no one would alter it , and it's components wouldn't fail. ;)

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
They were fans of origami and puzzles.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
engineers aren't mechanics and can afford to pay mechanics to fix things so they don't worry about it 😉

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
engineers aren't mechanics and can afford to pay mechanics to fix things so they don't worry about it 😉

Probably would also love us all to just give up and bring it to the Kawi dealer.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Probably would also love us all to just give up and bring it to the Kawi dealer.
I've had that thought too

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
I've had that thought too

A lot of us have been saying that about cars for 20 years or so. Now with fuel injection and computers on bikes and atvs, we're there.

A long story, will try to hit just the high spots.

My friend has a bunch of atvs, besides his Boulevard. Two of those are Kawi 450r. He paid an independent shop to fix one that got submerged and broke a piston, and the other one that would fall on it's face at full throttle. Among all that, he got charged $500 for a $100 fuel pump.

Brought the atvs home, now both fall on their face at full throttle. Two other shops get to look at them, one brings in a factory Kawi guy to check things. Final word was, take them to a Kawi dealer and have the computers scanned and reprogrammed if needed.

Off to the Kaw dealer, making shop number four. Shop said both atvs had mud in the gas tank, fuel pump, and fuel filter. Problem was, the previous shop had been swapping parts around on four bikes, and the other bikes always ran with his parts on them. Those parts included the gas tanks and fuel pumps.

My friend tried to ask questions when they told him about the mud, and the Kaw dealer comes unglued right there in the showroom. For 45 minutes he yelled, ranted, and cussed with three of us trying to reason with him. Customers walked in and did a u-turn back outside, it was that bad.

We are thinking there was an easy wiring harness fix, and the mud story was cover for that. It's known that Kawi had a harness problem in 2008, which got fixed for 2009.

My friend shed $1000 on that deal. Tried to get him to tear into the harnesses with me, but no dice, he went to the shop. The Kaw dealer even told me there's no computer reprogram, they just use a jumper wire to get the codes and look them up on a laptop. Said neither bike had codes. But the other Kawi rep said there's a $12000 computer or program they use. What's the truth, beats me, we don't even know for sure what fixed the bikes, but we know there was no mud.

I'm guessing my friend will buy his new Maverick 1000 somewhere else, that Kaw/CanAM dealer has a lot of bad reviews online.

Oh, and the bike with the new piston sounds like it has piston slap, like maybe the rod was bent too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts