Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Total time for installing took less than 10 minutes. The brace fits over the top of the front fender so closely you need to use a sheet of paper between it and the fender so they do not touch. On my bike the brace sits about 1/32 above the lower fork tube , although the instructions say to mount it 1/4 inch below. This likely is not applicable to our bike as the wide section at the top of the lower tube is fairly narrow. It bolts up with 4 Allen head bolts ,and as per the instructions I used a torque wrench to tighten them down to 10 ft/lbs.
All you need to do to prepare the bike is sit it up on the centerstand and loosen the axle pinch bolt on the right side.
I took the bike out for a long 20 mile ride after making sure the forks compressed properly and did not bind. It says to make sure that it does not interfere with brake lines and cables...but that is not a problem on our bikes.
After my ride I came to several conclusions about the brace. First off..it is quite likely that it does everything it is advertised to do. Remember the Vulcan is not a race bike..and thus it would be difficult to report on exact findings without testing it on a track and comparing it to runs with out it installed.
However , I do have a favorite route I take that I am very familar with..consisting of many turns and road irregularities. It is of course hard to weed out impressions here as these are "felt" by the rider and when testing anything that is supposed to improve the handling or ride you tend to pay attention to that more..so it would be easy to ask... "Did I push the bike farther because I knew the brace was there?" ...well..quite likely. But I have to draw my impressions on what I did notice.. the bike DID take turns more smoothly , it did feel more "solid" and it did seem to track through fast turns alot better than it had before. One sweeping turn has a bump right in the middle of it..before when I went through it the front end kinda wiggled some and felt "loose". Granted the springs are partly to blame for this , but I have not installed my new springs yet and the bike this time shuddered over this bump alot less. This is not an "impression" but a real fact..
Given the state of the stock springs we all likely notice some wallowing in turns..and the brace if anything..made these less severe ... and pointed out to me how sloppy the shocks really are.
Straight line riding was a hard call..as I said this would be a seat of the pants "feeling" and may have been influenced by the fact that I expected to see some improvement after installing the brace.
So I must go with my own impressons here..remember that I did used to road race and have some knowledge of what a bike should and should not do at speed. With that said... I do think the brace did tighten up straight line riding and I know for a fact that turns were more solid too.
I am convinced that with the addition of the progressive springs the Superbrace will extract all the potencial out of the front end that can be had. Going to the 110 tire likely will help there too.
On the other hand... it is plausable that some may never notice any diffrence in the ride of their bike with this installed, as many do not push their bikes as hard or lack the time riding to notice .. for you I say ..try doing a "stoppie"..although the tire size and weight of our bikes will not make it as dramatic as those with the crotch rockets..you can get the bike to dive hard. Before without the brace on, this would mean holding the bars as tight as your hands and arms could...and you'd feel the pressure. With the brace installed , I noticed that the front end did not seem to complain as badly and it it took less effort to keep my stop straight. This is one of the best reasons I can see for installing this brace..your controlled/panic stops will be a bit less hairy. So you may not notice any thing diffrent with the brace on the bike..but the potential to make your bike safer is always a good thing.
So all in all I do reccomend this item , especialy for those of you that like to carve up some twisty roads..but at the same time I do suggest coupling it with the progressive spring replacemsnt. Or as some will suggest .. doing the springs first, as the Superbrace cost is $159.00 (shipping included there)..and the springs with new fork oil are about half that. But The brace itself will make your bike safer and feel a bit more solid with the stock springs.
Knifemaker

·
Registered
200 Posts
Excellent report KM. I'm interested in getting one in black anodized, but I don't think they offer one. I have the Progressive springs, so if I do get one I'll post my ride results...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Got my superbrace today and installed in about 20 minutes. Most time spent finding torque specs for axle nut and pinch bolt in the Kaw manual, and rigging a 5mm allen wrench to the torgue wrench to get the brace torqued down properly. Was mid 50 degree in the garage so I used two pieces of paper over the fender to allow for addtional expansion when weather gets warmer. I have stock springs. My subjective impressions mirror Knife Maker's. More solid feel all around, more stable in the turns, ride seems a bit firmer. Highly recommended.

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
Dennis, are you using the progressive front springs too, or is this improvement with just the fork brace? I have the springs, and they made a big difference in handling. I was trying to figure out of I wanted to spend the additional $ for the brace or not.

Thanks?
RB

dennisinmd said:
Got my superbrace today and installed in about 20 minutes. Most time spent finding torque specs for axle nut and pinch bolt in the Kaw manual, and rigging a 5mm allen wrench to the torgue wrench to get the brace torqued down properly. Was mid 50 degree in the garage so I used two pieces of paper over the fender to allow for addtional expansion when weather gets warmer. I have stock springs. My subjective impressions mirror Knife Maker's. More solid feel all around, more stable in the turns, ride seems a bit firmer. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Red Baron said:
Dennis, are you using the progressive front springs too, or is this improvement with just the fork brace? I have the springs, and they made a big difference in handling. I was trying to figure out of I wanted to spend the additional $ for the brace or not.

Thanks?
RB
FWIW, I'll let you know what I think, RB, after I install mine. I ordered one from www.accessoryinternational.com on Weds. It was 145bux, + their Ridiculous 14 for shipping, which still put it less than the Superbrace site. I've got the Progressives and 15wt fork oil, and like to push hard in the turns, so we'll see if it makes a difference...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I will most likely stay with the stock springs. Being an old fart, I am not a real aggresive rider. I also like a plusher ride. If I wanted sport bike handling I would buy a sport bike. The superbrace was an easy install for me. I do like the more solid feel. Replacing fork springs would require more wrenching than I care to tackle right now.

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
Just so you know, the progressive fork springs don't make the ride harsh, it just helps reduce the dive a lot and stiffens the front up, so there is not so much up and down on the bumbs in the road, and helps the handling. It still absorbes the bumps fine and does not make the ride any harder.

RB

·
Registered
200 Posts
Did about 170mi this weekend after installing the SuperBrace.

I have Progressive springs, 15w fork oil & Metz110/90 front tires.
My initial observation was that the front seemed lighter...more responsive to steering inputs. I 'felt' this as soon as I made my first practice swerves heading down the street. You don't notice it as much at low speeds, but when you turn while going 30mph or greater, the steering is noticeably quicker and more responsive. The effort to start the lean into a turn at these speeds seems like nothing now!
While turning, the bike is steadier. I hit some rough road a couple of times on tight turns and longer sweepers, and the bike just tracks beautifully.

Going straight, it's steady as a rock, just as always. 70mph seems like nothing.

I didn't try any real hard 'emergency' braking, but on the couple of times I pulled firmly on the lever, I stopped cleanly, firmly. Less slop in the front under braking, I think.

Bottom line...I think the improvements are strong enough to warrant having one on our bikes, even w/ the Progressive springs. Esp if you like to turn...
I painted mine black, and it goes great w/ the black fender and the contrast w/ the fork looks fine.
Two thumbs up!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts