Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any particular plans for riding this summer?

I'm riding a Varadero now - have about 4400 km on it. August 7-21 I'm riding down to Ontario to visit my parents. I plan to ride east into Saskatchewan and then cut down through Weyburn into N. Dakota, Minnesota to Milwaukee, take the ferry across into Michigan and then cross back at Sarnia.

In October I'm taking 3 weeks off and riding down to SoCal where a friend has a house. My wife will fly down to meet me there, We'll spend a week there and return the same way we came.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
I don't have any long trips planned but I'm in the middle of relocating. Do you mind if I ask what you do for a living that you can take 3 weeks off to go touring? That's relatively unheard of down here unless you quit and get another job when you get back. Most of us don't get 3 weeks vacation in a year and if we do, we prolly ain't takin' it all at once. Just curious...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been self-employed one way or another since 1992. For the past 8 years I've been in a business with a partner so we can cover each other for longer periods than we could if we each were running it alone.

I have a high need for autonomy. As scary as it was to go on my own, it was the best decision I ever made. It took me 18 years to realize that if I wasn't really happy as an employee, I should try to change my circumstances rather than keep trying to change myself.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Hey Phil, it is good to hear you are racking up some miles on your new Varadero. After your wreck last summer where the Vulcan was totaled and you both were banged up so bad, I wondered if you would be riding this year. I`m glad to know you are enjoying it again, although it is entirely understandable that D. is not ready to ride yet.

I took my laptop to Foothills Hospital at the end of June, for what turned into a 2 week stay, hoping I would be able to email you, among other activities, but was never able to connect to their wifi. I`m holding out hope now that we will be able to get together next summer for a ride, as this summer is again going to be only chair riding and websurfing for me.:(

Keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
I've been self-employed one way or another since 1992. For the past 8 years I've been in a business with a partner so we can cover each other for longer periods than we could if we each were running it alone.

I have a high need for autonomy. As scary as it was to go on my own, it was the best decision I ever made. It took me 18 years to realize that if I wasn't really happy as an employee, I should try to change my circumstances rather than keep trying to change myself.
That's admirable not to mention fun. Glad to hear you're back up and running. I actually had plans to ride to Durango CO to visit my cuz but she ended up moving back to Philly before this summer started. I haven't done a loooong ride yet but I'm anxious to. :motorcycl

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Gord, I hope that hospital stay brought you a little further along the way to recovery. If it works for you, I might pop in on my way east around August 7.

I've altered my route to go south to Shelby MT, then all the way to Milwaukee on the secondaries. I decided I really didn't need to see Saskatchewan this time around. Keeping to the two lane highways will add a day to my trip, but I think will make it feel more like a proper journey and hopefully will allow me to meet more local people along the way.

I think Diane will be ready to get on the bike with me next spring. We've agreed that this year is for me to get back in the groove riding and become familiar with the bike before taking her two up again. With the trips I've planned, I should have 10,000 miles in by the time the snow flies.

Liberty, I hope you get a chance for a good run soon. The West is made for riding.

I've put 4,600 km on the bike, and so far very pleased with it. Took it out for a run yesterday evening. It cruises really smooth at 130 km/h (only 4500 rpm). That will make for easy miles on the trip. While passing by Lac des Arcs two sports bikes blew past me at a highly illegal speed. I briefly matched them just to show I could do it, then let them go on their way.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I would love to have you visit Phil. Check your PMs for my phone number and email.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Summer 2010

On the 29th of July I'm making a 2k plus trip. Starting in Oregon through Idaho down to Salt Lake City for a family reunion. Brief cruise through Wyoming to visit dead parents than head for Colorado mountains.
Heading north after Denver to Mt. Rushmore than a day at the Sturgus Rally.
From there I'm heading west toward Yellowstone than jump back north up the Continental Divine toward Montana and the fine lands of northern Idaho forest
toward Washington State than drop back down to Oregon.
Plan on being home by the 12th of August...
Anyone wanna join me?

·
Registered
166 Posts
i so wish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that sounds super cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Bat
161 Posts
What a wonderful journey! I took the route throught the upper tier from Ohio a couple years ago, and had a great time on the roads around Rushmore...I was in my car at the time, but thinking how great it would be on a bike! Visit Crazy Horse, too...nice indian stuff, great shirts, etc.
Great trip!
Bat

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
I plan on takin my summer one day at a time riding when I can. I have noticed when you start a new job workin 50+ hours a week in a 100+ degree plant, you need alot of sleep.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since I am going to be riding the back highways, I expect to have no cell service for parts of the trip. Diane is also nervous about something happening to me in the boonies. For that reason I have ordered a SPOT unit to take with me. It works off satellite, like GPS, but also has send capability. The way it works is it uploads my position every 10 minutes to a website so she can track me in real time. It also has a 911 button so I can call for help if need be. Could be handy if I end up in the weeds! I think it's pretty cool.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well I'm just outside of Flint Michigan right now. Today was my fifth on the road. I left Canmore on Saturday, stopped by to see Ol' Hoss Canada on the way through Lethbridge, and stopped for the night in Shelby MT.

Sunday I proceeded east on the #2. The roads were awash with Harleys, all seemingly draining eastward toward Sturgess. I avoided Sturgess myself. Turned south at Wolf Point and had the road to myself to Circle, then cut over to Glendive. Followed I94 a short distance to Wibaux, and then followed the state highway 7 south to Baker, and then the #12 east to Bowman ND where I stayed the night. I got the last room in the motel, most of the rest were already taken by guys on Harleys. Funny, I didn't see another dualsport all day except a guy broken down with his BMW in Malta.

The route was in keeping with my plan to take the secondaries as much as possible. In Montana they're great for high speed cruising - scant traffic, great views, good sight lines for passing.

The guys who just travel by interstate have forgotten one of the great pleasures of riding - I mean passing, on a two lane, where you come up behind someone, pace them and bide your time, then when an opening comes, nail it and blow past them. You can't pass like that on an interstate.

Along the way I saw a lot of hand painted signs like this:

Meth evidently is a real problem around there.

Windmills near Marmarth ND.

Monday I rode east on the #12 through North and South Dakota. It was brutally hot, and my riding jacket didn't help at all. I had to lay over for a while, and had a beer which was memorable in that I was carded for the first time since - oh 1976. When I resumed my ride it was still so hot that I gave in and removed my gear, riding in my T-shirt through the slightly less hot evening into Minnesota.....until I passed a herd of deer that is, at which point I took that as a warning and put the gear back on. Stopped in Appleton for the night and hung out in the local bar talking to the locals until closing time. That is one of the things I enjoy about travelling this way, is talking to whatever local people I meet as I go along.

Tuesday I angled east and south until I intersected with the #14 at New Ulm. Still unbearably hot and now humid as well. The forecast was calling for thunderstorms and I could see a system following me east.

It caught up to me just past Owatonna in a real cloudburst - could hardly see, extreme cross wind from the right (I had to hang off the bike to keep from being blown over into the oncoming lane).

When it was over my supposedly waterproof riding boots were full of water but I got a nice rainbow for my pains.

Stayed last night in Winona MN.

Today I departed from my plan and hit the I90.94 to make up some of the time I had lost on the blue highways. Caught the 12:30 ferry in Milwaukee going across Muskegon. In Muskegon I found a Suzuki dealer and finally got a mesh jacket. What a relief to feel cool in my gear! So here I am near Flint. Tomrrow I'll be crossing at Sarnia and then on to Listowel Ontario.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't have any long trips planned but I'm in the middle of relocating. Do you mind if I ask what you do for a living that you can take 3 weeks off to go touring? That's relatively unheard of down here unless you quit and get another job when you get back. Most of us don't get 3 weeks vacation in a year and if we do, we prolly ain't takin' it all at once. Just curious...
Wow, it's good to live and work in the Netherlands. Here we have at least 4 or 5 weeks in a year... And about 5 or 6 extra public holidays.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
I guess I'm lucky I work for a European company because we get 5 weeks but most people in the states don't. "Allot" of vacation here is typically 3 weeks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts