Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short I just got back from a 400mile ride she did amazing. fresh oil and new pod filters before the ride. Two days later I start her today and go get lunch after that I get some gas and when I drive off I notice it starts to die when at a stop. So I pull the throttle to keep her alive and made it home but had to keep ripping the throttle. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Could be a couple of things. Maybe a stuck float valve? perhaps a clogged pilot jet in the carb? Try running a good bit of seafoam through a half tank and see if that helps. If not, you might need to tear into the carbs

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just took the pods off and reset the idle screw and then turned it out 3 times and it started fine I think the combination of bad gas quality and me not oiling the pod filters after 400miles might have done it I just ran seafoam into the carbs while running it well see if that helps

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just slapped the pods back on and it ran fine for about 5 minutes. Then it started to die out again it was at full temperature at the halfway mark but that's normal.im going to take all the gas out and try a different source maybe that's all it was? I always use 87 from Chevron but this time I used the generic stripes 87 station.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Largely I'd say gas is gas. Do you have any carb cleaner on hand? Get her running warm and spray some carb cleaner in where both pods are. Does the engine rev up when you do this? If it doesn't, You might have a weak spark due to crummy sparks, bad wires, or even a failing electrical system (feel free to check your battery voltage both when off and when running warm)

Are your gas lines seated properly in their spots on the carbs? I once didn't connect the lines properly and the carbs were getting starved of gas

If the electrical is good, hoses are good, and carb spray revs it up, I'd pull the carbs and do a cleaning of the carbs, jets, and floats

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pulled all the gas last night from the tank and bowls my local mechanic recommend trying that first since that station is know to be bad I'll buy new gas now and if that's still not a fix I'll try the carb cleaner and check the plugs and fuel lines thanks

·
NewB to Vulcans
220 Posts
If you think the gas is dirty then you will need to clean the carbs. These bikes are very sensitive to even tiny dirt particles.
As for "bad gas" i have run pretty much everything thru mine without problems, 85 to 97 octane (both my convertibles used premium) and whatever is nearest when the gauge shows MT

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just put in some ethanol free 91 and it started up no issue then I just ran it around for 1hr in town high rpms low rpms all of it and nothing if nothing turns up the next few days I'm going to assume the gas really was bad

·
Registered
730 Posts
I always put ethanol-free in mine, but that's primarily because I leave mine sitting for a week at a time, sometimes up to 3-4 weeks if I get busy. Only time I'll put E10 in there is if I'm on a road trip and I know I'll burn most of the ethanol gas out of the tank. Just a reassurance policy to be sure my carbs won't get gummed up from lack of running.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I always put ethanol-free in mine, but that's primarily because I leave mine sitting for a week at a time, sometimes up to 3-4 weeks if I get busy. Only time I'll put E10 in there is if I'm on a road trip and I know I'll burn most of the ethanol gas out of the tank. Just a reassurance policy to be sure my carbs won't get gummed up from lack of running.
Lucky. The only Ethanol free gas I have in MD is near the shore at boat docks and the like. Can't really get it anywhere around me

·
Registered
7,646 Posts
Ashland Marathon had a problem back in the late 90s, their gas had some sort of red substance in it. They replaced entire fuel systems from tank to engine for quite some time. If you had the red residue in the system, they replaced it all free of charge. The red death was up and down the east coast. Costly for them, but they stepped up with no hassle for the consumers.

I've used e-free for storage, but I don't like running it all the time since the only pump around is higher octane, 91 I think, not the best/cleanest running fuel in this engine. The marinas do have it, but those pumps are gone between Oct-May.

Corny gas does start to muck up the jets in a short time if not treated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts