Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is my first post.

I was riding on the highway when I suddenly loss all RPMs the tachometer went to zero and the bike stalled. The bike was running great, I have 2800 miles on it.

I checked all battery connections, as well as the spark plug wires, changed the sprk plugs.

I was able to start it but only can keep her running by keeping the accelerator half way in. When riding I have hardly any power could not get to even 50 MPH.

Any thoughts on how I can fix it myself would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

AlexC

·
Registered
553 Posts
Only 2800 miles? is it new or a older one that has been sitting around awhile?
Things to check:
petcock in the on position
Clean tank and gas
battery fully charged

Wait for the experts, somone should be along before long.

·
Registered
198 Posts
It might be a good idea to take it to a bike shop and have them do a check on the ignition system. One of those little computer chips might have went belly up. This exact same thing happened on my previous Suzuki Intruder, except the engine would not restart. It would spin over real fast but no fire. The bike shop replaced one small ignition part (chip) for $110 and it ran like new. This is just a suggestion; I'm a lousy mechanic.
Dan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both, I'll take it into the shop and will post resolution.

·
"ya can't live forever"
321 Posts
You probably have some dirt etc in the fuel line or carb. Try a little Sea Foam
to clean it out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Similar but not as bad

This has only happened to me twice, but there have been occasions that while on the highway, I've been in 5th at or around 5000 rpm, when all of the sudden the bike will slow down, and it will feel like I've started to pull the clutch in (though I haven't) but my rev's won't really change at all. (aka going from 75mph to 60mph unintentionally)

I wonder if the root causes of these phenomenon are the same. :hitanykey

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
Well, we all know how km hates multiple posts on one subject so.... ;-)

·
2,581 Posts
This has only happened to me twice, but there have been occasions that while on the highway, I've been in 5th at or around 5000 rpm, when all of the sudden the bike will slow down, and it will feel like I've started to pull the clutch in (though I haven't) but my rev's won't really change at all. (aka going from 75mph to 60mph unintentionally)

I wonder if the root causes of these phenomenon are the same. :hitanykey
It could be the clutch starting to go or simply a fuel issue. Keep an eye on it and use seafoam in the gas if you don't already. :pepper:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts