Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
misplaced my manual. What is the preferred tire pressure front and back for oem sized tires.

Recently bought new tires and 3 days after getting them put on, I picked up a nail in the back tire. Plugged it myself and it is not leaking, but I don't think I have the correct pressure in my rear tire.

anyone care to share this trivial information that I should know already?

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
misplaced my manual. What is the preferred tire pressure front and back for oem sized tires.

Recently bought new tires and 3 days after getting them put on, I picked up a nail in the back tire. Plugged it myself and it is not leaking, but I don't think I have the correct pressure in my rear tire.

anyone care to share this trivial information that I should know already?
Look on your tires it will tell you. :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Just like Lance said, look on your tire. Each Manufacturer has their own desired tire pressure. Example- the manual says 28psi front and rear, but the Metzlers I have my bike say 42psi Front and 50psi Rear

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
For my comfort and tire life, if the stamp on the tire says 42, I usually run 36. Gives me a smoother ride and it doesn't wear out the center of the tire so fast.

DT

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Isn`t it the maximum tire pressure indicated on the sidewall, not the recommended riding pressire?

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
The max psi for cold tires yes. Like dirttrack, I know a lot of guys that will run 5-10psi less than the max cold psi. Personally I can't really tell a difference after the tires heat up and expand on a nice hot day when the road temp is reaching 130+ degrees.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
On the sidewall of the tire it lists maximum tire pressure at maximum carrying capacity for that single tire.

This doesn't necessarily mean you should have it at max inflation unless you are near that listed weight with you and your gear on the bike. If you know the bike weighs around 500 lbs, you weight 200, your add on gear like saddlebags, trunk, racks or highway bars might add 30 or 40 lbs. So we'll say 750 lbs to be on the high side. If the max weight rating is 800 on the tire at 45 psi, and let's say that around 2/3rds of your total weight is on your rear tire (495 lbs) then if you divide 495 by 800 (the max weight rating of the tire) you get about 62%. So then if you multiply 45psi by 62% you get about 28. What this tells me is that you could run as little as 28 psi in the rear tire and be fine. I would probably go higher than that just to have a buffer, but that's just me. Of course you realize I've used bogus numbers for the weight/psi rating in my example and you need to figure this out using real numbers! I'm also not sure how the ratio of the weight from the front to rear tire is for sure. Just wanted to clear the air about max psi. It's not the suggested psi on the tire, its the max load rating!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
The correct answer here is not to go by what is written on the tire, not to figure out some mathamatical formula that is a percentage of that , but to go to the tires manufacturer and find their reccomendation for your bike.

Metzler , Dunlop, Avon, etc all have charts that list the suggested pressure for their particular tire on a particular bike.
Metzler reccomends 36 front and 42 rear I believe for their 880's on the VN750 ...42/50 is a bit too high.

The next correct answer is to spend the time testing your tire by inflating it with various pressures and then taking tempature readings after 20 minute runs at the same speed. This of course can take along time, requires some good equipment, and may result in premature wear to the tire.

But, you can use the method to fine tune whatever figure you have found that was reccomended. Although the manual does say 28/30 for the stock tire, I found 29/32 to run cooler. (This was on the Bridgestone Excedra's)

The key there is finding the "coolest" tempature. As mentioned the load on the tires has to be considered , but I would not inflate the tires to what is written on the tire , but by what the company that made the tire reccomneds for that particular motorcyle.

And as you did not tell us what kind of tire you have, only that it is the stock size, I am unable to give you an anwer as pressures differ alot from tire to tire...........

KM

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I agree that my explanation was really weak. We used to use that formula for figuring a starting place for oversized off road tires on jeeps.
As a starting place, your concept has merit...or a "when in doubt" formula when unable to get a solid number.

I have always wanted to get one of those "laser" thermometers, which would be a great tool for measuring tire temps...however they cost a bit of money still....

KM

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks knifemaker. They are Dunlops and I'll check their site. Thanks to everyone else for responding. The tire always shows max pressure, but I don't like to run max on any of my vehicles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts