Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When marbling you are supposed to plug the vacuum line coming off of the rear carb....now....after plugging it, are you supposed to put the line back onto the open port on the carb or just let the carb suck in open air??

I feel dumb...but oh well

·
Registered
305 Posts
vaccuum lines have to be plugged off

·
Registered
305 Posts
the one from the petccock is good, unless the petcock is changed out to gravity feed., leave it be

I mispoke.

As a general rule, with carbs, vacuum lines have to be connected or plugged. if it isn't one it has to be the other. A carb sucking air at a vacuum port WILL run very lean,

Vents on the other hand alway must remain open, either to the inside of the airbox, or to atmosphere.

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
I say spend the 35 bux and get the coaster kit from Cycle Tech of Loves Park, IL - find them on eBay. Comes with instructions, and if you save all your parts, you can put it all back later if you don't like it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
ok, i know ill sound like a NO0B, but what is marbling?

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Marbling or coastering is the process of blocking off the reed valves. These provide fresh air into the exhaust process to burn off any residual fuel and reduce emissions. It is the primary reason for the popping on decel. Marbling describes using marbles in the hoses to block them off while leaving everything in place. Coastering is done by removing the canister and hoses, and blocking the hoses by capping them off, and/or installing solid plates in place of the reed valves. There is a ton of info in the verses on both processes. I went the coastering route. I like the look of the plate instead of the reed valve. I also wanted a little extra room under the seat for the relays I installed for my Stebel horn and VOM. You actually only see the left side. The right side is under the right ear. (unless you've removed the air filters, AKA ear shave, then you will see both.)

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Here are a couple of pics:

Capped reed valve CLICK HERE

Reed valve covered with solid plate CLICK HERE

·
Registered
77 Posts
ok things have now become MUCH clearer with the pics, thanks chris!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am going to attempt to Marble (get rid of the popping on decel). So here is my dumb question. Are their reed valves/hoses on each cylinder or just on the rear like in the phot?o

·
Registered
802 Posts
Definitely like the looks of the cap method.

Probably should have done this when I degoated. With the new pipes going on, I'm definitely going to.

Of course, my biggest question, before seeing the capped pic, was where did everyone get the marbles? Just the plain ol bag you'd get at a toy store?

Do toy stores even sell marbles anymore?

·
Registered
476 Posts
any marble from any toy bag, as long as it will drop into a 5/8" socket. You can get a bag from any toy store and save the rest to keep in your pocket for dropping behind you when you have a tailgater LOL!

·
Kawika
441 Posts
I picked up a plastic bottle full of marbles from the dollar store...It was intended to be ammo for some sort of toy launcher/gun. (man, I had a toy rifle with only a cork when I was a kid!) anyway, I used what I needed and gave the rest to my kids.

The cap looks like the rubber caps that are used at the ends of poles for proping up boat covers, etc. I believe my Ace Hardware carries them in various sizes in the hardware section where they have stainless steel screws and cap nuts, etc. It also looks like a wire tie banded around it to keep it in place.

I'm actually having a tough time getting the popping out of the front cylinder(right pipe) I must have an air leak in the carb or carb boot....I'm thinking the carbs are going to have to come out again...:doh:

·
Registered
6 Posts
RATS I wish I had seen this earlier, davewex. We all know the hardest part of installing the carbs is getting the boots back on (if you still have your airbox) but testing for an air leak there can be done with either starting fluid or WD-40. Use the red spray needles, idle the bike and aim a shot of either at suspect joints near the intake. Starting fluid will rev the engine up, WD-40 will drop the idle a bit. I like starting fluid better because it doesn't lubricate the V of the engine. Beats pulling the carbs to make sure. MAN I hate pulling those carbs. I never think of it until it comes up, but yuk. And I do this for a living.

·
Kawika
441 Posts
Thanks for the info Covert!
I ended up pulling the carbs to rejet and replace some rubber parts, but still had the popping from the front cylinder...Then I discovered that I did have an air leak in the boot after that install. (It was making it seem like it was the same air leak!!) I was able to loosen all the boot clamps, lube the one leaking and then spin it around to the correct position. I also plugged all the extra California emissions equipment during this time (except the vent!) It runs great, now.

TIP - Use silicone spray lube on the boots and they slide into place real easy (A lesson learned LATE!!)

Many thanks again to the folks on this forum that helped me out:
Jets - Lance328
CA Emissions - OldDog
Also many others that I may have missed!

Have since put on a few hundred miles, including the Tail of the Dragon on April Fool's Day. Here's a video I made from the Dragon: (it's in my sig now, too)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1084590140681599874

1 - 20 of 20 Posts