Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, just bought my 2003 750 vulcan. while i was looking at it i asked the guy when it needed an oil change, and he told me it had just been changed a couple of weeks before. He then pointed and told me you check the oil level here, and as i looked at it i said it isnt at the full mark, so he grabbed some extra oil he had and filled it to the full mark. i rode my bike about 100 or so miles before i got a manual and discovered that the reservoir he filled was the COOLANT reservoir. my question is, how do i drain that system and clean it out to get rid of the oil residue, then refill?

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
there is one bolt that holds it on just take it off and dump it out fill it with hot soapy water and shake the hell out of it then its wash rinse repeat until you are satisfied that it is clean just make sure it has no soap left in it when you are done

·
Sparky!!!
8,709 Posts
you just lubed up the cooling system, not watered down the oil... I would however flush the radiator real good... The verses give a good write up of how to flush the cooling system.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
If the coolant was full in the system chances are the oil never left the reservoir , I would think.
thats what i was thinking as long as the bike didnt over heat and there was still coolant under the oil you shouldnt have gotten any in the system but flushing the radiator is never a bad idea if you dont know the previous owner that well

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
You'd think he would know where the oil went. Kinda makes me wonder what other stupid things he's done to the bike. :doh:

·
Super Moderator
12,136 Posts
You'd think he would know where the oil went. Kinda makes me wonder what other stupid things he's done to the bike. :doh:
Was thinking the same thing. I'd flush the radiator and also change the oil and filter, check the torque on every bolt and Lord knows I'd check the splines before I rode the bike again....

I'd also check the battery, (order an AGM if needed) go over every electrical connection and check the tire pressures.

But then, I'd do all the above on any used bike I bought.....;)

KM

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Was thinking the same thing. I'd flush the radiator and also change the oil and filter, check the torque on every bolt and Lord knows I'd check the splines before I rode the bike again....

I'd also check the battery, (order an AGM if needed) go over every electrical connection and check the tire pressures.

But then, I'd do all the above on any used bike I bought.....;)

KM
x2 ! :smiley_th:smiley_th

WilliamTech :smiley_th

1 - 11 of 11 Posts