Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Stupid is as stupid does.

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  ksmnet 
#1 ·
So, I got the bike out the other day after a couple of weeks off. It was running great, but then it started losing power all of a sudden. It even killed on me once or twice. Then I started hearing some loud clattering, but could not figure out where it was coming from. Then it finally just smoothed out and ran fine the rest of the way to the office, and for the 21 mile ride home. I parked it, then started thinking about what the problems could be. I spoke to a mechanic at a local shop, and he thought the clattering might be the acct's not holding good tension, but it was only a guess.

Then, I got to thinking about how much oil I put into the thing, and determined I was putting too much in. I was told by a shop there was supposed to be 5 liters of oil in the engine. I finally noticed the "4l" stamped on the side of the engine, and figured that might be part of my problem as well. So, I drained down the oil until I could see the level at the top of the sight glass.

Well, to make a long story longer, I got the thing out yesterday to go make sales calls. I had to drive 20 miles or so. It started out running great, then all of a sudden a total loss of power. It finally dawned on me that the new key I had the locksmith make was very long, and had a wide black plastic top on it. I noticed that the tach was vibrating and bouncing against the key to the point where it shut the thing off.

So, I ground off the edges of the key, and the bike has been running flawlessly since. I don't know what the clattering was, but it could have been somehow related to the key being turned off or partially off or something. All I can say is that it has not been an issue since.

Ya live and learn I guess.:doh:

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks. Going on a 200 mi ride tomorrow, and it's been running great. Getting close to needing to replace the rear tire, though. Not sure what I'm going to go with, though. I like the stock Bridgestone. It hugs the corners well. I like to take them fast, when I can tell there's not gravel all over the place. I scraped and pushed up the left footpeg the other day. Wasn't expecting that. I thought the kickstand or side stand would hit before the footpeg. Having loads of fun, though.

#5 ·
Yep, good catch...
I usually scraped the right side more than the left, I guess it is because on a right hand turn you are on the inside and it is sharper...
Anyway be cautious especially with a worn tire...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.