Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last couple of days, the bike has been acting a little like the carbs are dirty in that it will sputter/stumble/hesitate under power. When I stopped at an intersection the other day it died and the dash lights went out even though the key was turned to ON. Checked the fuses and they were OK. Noticed when I was pushing it that occasionally when I pushed down hard on the bars the dash lights would flicker on and off. Left it for about 10 minutes, walked back, inserted the key the lights came on, and it started and ran well for the rest of the ride (about 35 miles)

Today I noticed that the tach needle will jump every time it stumbles and some times when I can't feel it stumble. Died about 15 miles into the trip while I was doing around 55 mph. Again, I pushed the bars hard and some times the dash lights would come on some times they wouldn't When they stayed on, I would try to start it, there would be an audible click and the lights would go out. After about 20 minutes, turned the key, lights came on and it started easily. But it was stumbling more and more.

I know the problem is electrical, but I have no idea where to look first. Any suggestions? I hate electrical problems, and those are what I seem to get the most of!

·
Registered
273 Posts
hey flite...

:confused:First, check all grounds, if they are ok, I would start looking at the ignition switch. Mine is very touchy, and if I don't set it just right, it will die.:doh:

If the engine dies while riding, try wiggling the key. If it starts acting OK,:doh:
I wish they would just sell the pigtail, but yo uhave to get the whole thing.

:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do. I tried wiggling the key as part of my fiddling with it, and moving the wires I could reach under the instrument panel, but that never resulted in the dash lights coming on.

·
2,527 Posts
Sounds like the old "loose connection" on your battery terminal. Pull your seat off and check that right away. This happens a lot, trust me. The tach jumping is a dead giveaway.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys were right on. It didn't move when I tried to rotate it, but tightened negative battery cable a little more any way. Problem solved! Thanks!

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Sounds like the old "loose connection" on your battery terminal. Pull your seat off and check that right away. This happens a lot, trust me. The tach jumping is a dead giveaway.
Yup, this is a common one. I use blue loctite on my battery connections now.

·
2,527 Posts
That's another one on my check list of things that go wrong, along withe the upper engine mount bolt coming loose, which I saw someone just posted again. You read enough you learn!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts