Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't get the right carburator drain screw loose to drain the gas for winter without stripping the wrench socket hole. Is there a way to get this screw loose before I tear it up? If it won't come loose and and the carb can't be drained, should I fill the carbs with Stabiled gas and run the bike a few times through the short Virginia winter?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

·
2,521 Posts
I just use a good dose of seafoam in the tank and run it every so often. I actually had it out today for Thanksgiving around the development. Took my neice's for a spin (I have a helmet for them) before they went home.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
That is what I would do. I would use the stuff for the chain saw mix. Then I would run the engine for a bit.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Why would you want to drain the carbs?
Use good Seafoam run the bike 5 minuits and let it sit.
Rember rust and Varnesh form in air not under fuel.
I would not recomend running the bike everyso often unless you can ride it, You will not charge the batt or move things good enough just idiling in place, you need to ride it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys, for the advice on the carbs. I won't worry so much and I'll plan to ride it some through the winter, just to keep in shape.

Great forum to match a great bike.

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
I agree. Some Seafoam in the tank and ride as often as you can. Keep the battery at full charge.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Sorry, guys, gotta disagree with you on this one. Not that your suggestions aren't fine, but they don't address the problem, which is a stuck drain screw on the float bowl. He may not need to drain the floats now, but at some point... The best thing you can do to loosen that is try PB Blaster and see if it'll break up some of those "adhesions." It may be kinda tricky getting enough in there to work if the carbs are on the bike - if you can pull the carbs, you can pull that whole plate (where the screw sits) and get the Blaster in from behind. You'll also get better leverage on the screw when you go to pull it out.

As everyone indicates above, it's not necessary to drain the bowls at this point, but you do want to get the stuck parts unstuck...the sooner the better. :)

·
Registered
881 Posts
somtimes you can lock some vicegrips on the screwhead and and turn to "unfreze" it. im not really sure if there is room without the carbs removed.

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
On a thread the other day a guy said to drain the carbs and see what you get. I have a 04 and about 6000 miles. The fuel petcocks do not really sreen the fuel very well. When I drained mine into a white rag, you can see what is not filtered by the pedcock. I really think at least once a year the carbs should be drained. Just my 2 cents. To bad it is not easy to install fuel filters of your own, not enough room to GET ER done.

·
Addicted to Projects
545 Posts
I installed a couple of fuel filters on mine. I picked them up at the dealership. I'll try to get a picture of the spare I've got laying around here later.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I installed a couple of fuel filters on mine. I picked them up at the dealership. I'll try to get a picture of the spare I've got laying around here later.

I`m just bumping this up to see if you have a pic up yet.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts