Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to service the brakes on the bike but I can't open the cover to add fluid. Screws are really stuck! I've torqued the shaft of one screwdriver and burred the head of one screw pretty bad by now. I'm about to go to the torch and do the heat/cool cycles and see if I can bust it loose without having to drill it out.

Anyone have any hints tips?

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
get a good number 2 phillips head screw driver and hit it with a hammer while slowly turning the screw

do you have the round mc or the rectangle one ?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Round. I have tried tapping it and even tried one of those hand held impact screwdrivers. Neither screw has budged.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Don't take the torch to it. You'll end up messing up the rubber inside the mc. If you can't get them out withthe usual methods you might as well drill them or try a screw extractor kit.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Usually a bit of Kroil or some other penetrating oil and an impact driver works, but if you have already damaged the heads you might have to drill the heads off, remove the cap, then maybe they can be backed out with pliers or something...JMO...
FOB---Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
I had the same situation and nothing worked except using a small automatic center punch to put a tiny dimple between the center hole (for the allen wrench or Phillips slot) and the outer edge of the head. Do this on a slight angle so that you can use a regular center punch in that dimple and tap it with a hammer to drive it in the proper direction for removal of the bolt. You do not need to go too deep with the dimple but just enough to get a good "footing" for the regular driving punch. I had tried six different penetrating oils, a hand held impact driver, Phillips head tip held tight with two clamps and a wrench on the tip shaft plus countless other methods I can't even remember right now. I replaced the screws with flat allen head socket screws and some never seize goop to avoid future problems. During my preseason bike check up I pop them out and dab a fresh blob on them again after a good cleaning. Good luck and take your time when attempting this initial removal.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gave in and got out the drill. Got lucky I think. Normally for me this turns into a long, drawn out affair involving lots of drill bits, dental picks, and usually retapping the hole.

Drilled just large enough to get the heads off. One side then unscrewed by hand, the other went with a little effort and small flatblade screwdriver. Off to get some replacements and will then probably celebrate my success and mechanical prowess with an adult beverage...

Thanks for the tip of not trying the torch. Looking at it I probably would have mucked up the seals and been off the road for a week or more!

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Gave in and got out the drill. Got lucky I think. Normally for me this turns into a long, drawn out affair involving lots of drill bits, dental picks, and usually retapping the hole.

Drilled just large enough to get the heads off. One side then unscrewed by hand, the other went with a little effort and small flatblade screwdriver. Off to get some replacements and will then probably celebrate my success and mechanical prowess with an adult beverage...

Thanks for the tip of not trying the torch. Looking at it I probably would have mucked up the seals and been off the road for a week or more!
glad you got it fixed

remember they dont have to be Hercules tight just snug when you put them back on :beerchug:

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
I am going to guess, most here have never heard of Kroil.
Sure, I use Kroil for cleaning my rifles. The fact it's a great penetrating oil is an additional bonus. Good stuff.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
glad you got it fixed

remember they dont have to be Hercules tight just snug when you put them back on :beerchug:
Anti seize can be your friend in these situations unless you like repeat problems.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kroil, pb-blaster, WD-40, ATF+acetone. I've tried them all. Tried PB-blaster on this one. There was a good write up in Home Shop Machinist where someone did a pretty good test and came up with ATF/acetone mix was as good or better than the purchased products. Seems to work for me but I didn't have any mixed and an aerosol can is just so easy to grab.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
so since you couldnt bring your self to come see me when i was in benton you gonna come down and visit me in texas?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe. More likely we will have to find somewhere in between to meet. Like I said, Hot Springs is a great town to visit. Don't know so much about Texarkana. I like Fort Worth but its a bit of a long haul for me.

Give me a year or so and I can retire. Maybe we could do a run up to Strange Days and meet Wolfie in person!

ArkTinkerer

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I am going to guess, most here have never heard of Kroil.
Ha, ha, kinda my thoughts also, that's why I threw in or "some other penetrating oil"... I guess I probably have some weird stuff around, I always have a can of Kroil & Marvel Mystery oil on hand, you know how it goes...lol... Just last week I gave a shooting buddy an old powder scale, guess what it was... An old 1/20th gr. Herters balance beam, that lil sucker must have weighed 10#, and if you ran it without the oil in the paddle reservoir, someone could fart in the next room and it would take it 5 min. for the balance beam to stop...lol...

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
An old 1/20th gr. Herters balance beam, that lil sucker must have weighed 10#, and if you ran it without the oil in the paddle reservoir, someone could fart in the next room and it would take it 5 min. for the balance beam to stop...lol...
That is funny, but close to true.

On the subject of weird stuff, I use Sweets 7.62 until I run out of blue patches. There needs to be something good after that. Shooter's Choice and then SC/Kroil.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
That is funny, but close to true.

On the subject of weird stuff, I use Sweets 7.62 until I run out of blue patches. There needs to be something good after that. Shooter's Choice and then SC/Kroil.
I use Butch's Bore Shine, it's not near as strong as Sweet's, but I would let my barrels soak, then chase the Butch's with either JB or later Remington's Rem. Clean, which seems to me like the JB except in an oil base, which was easier to put on a patch... After final cleaning I would lightly coat the bore with "Lock Ease" which is a colloidal graphite... I really kept up with what was going on with the cleaning, I had a very good bore scope, but I sold it to a friend for $600 after I quit shooting...
I believe this is the one I had... http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/borescopes/17-slim-borescope-kit-sku338115017-25185-16123.aspx

PS-I've got gun junk in my garage cabinets that I would be afraid to use, because I've forgot what they really are...lol...

Care to make your own moly grease...lol...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts