Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finished my spline lube yesterday. That went great, following Fergy's tutorial. Since I was on a roll, I decided to change the gear oil. Now I can't seem to get the plug to fully tighten, and judging from the metallic fragments I stripped the threads on the pan.

I tried to search the forum, but didn't find what I was looking for. Any ideas?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Well, I finished my spline lube yesterday. That went great, following Fergy's tutorial. Since I was on a roll, I decided to change the gear oil. Now I can't seem to get the plug to fully tighten, and judging from the metallic fragments I stripped the threads on the pan.I tried to search the forum, but didn't find what I was looking for. Any ideas?
I assume you mean the drain plug has stripped the threads on the final drive.

The cheap DIYer in me recommends that you let the unit drain until no more oil drips out, then clean it well with brake cleaner or electrical contact cleaner. Try applying some silicone around the sealing rim on the circumference of the plug when you snug it up as much as possible. You might need to smear a little more silicone on the surface after the plug is installed if it continues to leak.

IMO this is worth a try, to save the price of a new or used final drive.:smiley_th

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the above ideas. My car mechanic suggested getting a slightly larger plug with the same type threads. I'm going to try that and I'll let you know how it works.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Thanks for the above ideas. My car mechanic suggested getting a slightly larger plug with the same type threads. I'm going to try that and I'll let you know how it works.
I think this will work good. Just make sure the bolt is the same lenght. If there are any shavings it will not hurt cause it is aluminum. It soft enough that it will not hurt the steel gears.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I`ve heard of oversize self-tapping drain plugs for the crankcase, but never thought of trying something similar on the bike`s final drive, when I wrote the first post. That`s probably the best idea for the stripped threads I`ve seen here.:smiley_th

1 - 6 of 6 Posts