1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
Couple of comments here. There are other helmet threads this could have gone in but I'm too lazy to look for the right one and I kinda like the subject title here so I'll let this thread stand alone.

I thought it funny that in the section on Modular Helmets they made a point to say they weren't as safe as a full face helmet, but in the very next paragraph said ones that had the ECE or Snell certificate passed the exact same tests as full face helmet...

They also said the modular helmets had the advantage of being both a full face and open face helmet. I should point out that most makers of flip up helmets specficlly state that you should not ride your bike with the chinbar up....as this can make the helmet more dangerous in a crash. There are some modular helmets that are in fact designed to be worn in the "open face" position, so I'd suggest if you're looking for that advantage you check with the maker before buying.

I'll also point out they made it sound like a DOT sticker on a helmet meant that it passed a DOT test. The DOT does not test helmets by each maker. Instead they have a set of standards that a maker must say their helmet "can" comply with. It's really just a matter then of taking the word of the manufacturer that their helmet complies and then "allowing them" to attach a DOT sticker.

Most makers of course wouldn't risk lying here, and do in fact test their own helmets to make sure they meet DOT standards. But again, there's no guarantee here, especially with inexpensive helmets from overseas (e.g. China...;) )

I personally only buy helmets with the SNELL sticker...

Lastly, there is no proof a 400 dollar helmet is going to protect your head better than a $100 helmet. And an expensive helmet that doesn't fit you correctly can be less safe than a cheaper helmet that does....

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll also point out they made it sound like a DOT sticker on a helmet meant that it passed a DOT test. The DOT does not test helmets by each maker. Instead they have a set of standards that a maker must say their helmet "can" comply with. It's really just a matter then of taking the word of the manufacturer that their helmet complies and then "allowing them" to attach a DOT sticker.
I didn't know that (never thought about it actually) - interesting....

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
I didn't know that (never thought about it actually) - interesting....
Yes, here's another link on helmet testing:

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/motorcycle-helmet-standards-explained-dot-ece-22-05-snell/

Failure to comply to DOT (and saying you do) can cost you $5,000 per helmet. So if you've made 1000 helmets ....well you do the math....;)

There was some criticism awhile back that the SNELL testing was too stringent and that companies were making their helmets TOO tough...and thus not as protective. (Helmets like cars are made to crush under specfic forces absorbing the shock)
New SNELL standards are more inline with current crash data and are now more simular to the ECE standards.

Another aspect that was thought unfair was SNELL tested for "multiple impacts"....the main reason many flip up helmets didn't pass....the chinbar on many tested broke on impact.
I'm told there are a few Modular helmets that do have current SNELL certification....

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I am definitely pro helmet. Not just for crash protection, but for comfort. I wear inexpensive DOT full face helmets.

To anyone planning to buy an expensive helmet because it provides better protection, I suggest reading this. This test was done in 2005, by David Thom and the late Prof Harry Hurt. I can think of no one more qualified than they are. They tested a lot of helmets, from a $79 cheapie to ones costing several hundred $$$. The cheapest one provided the best protection. They determined that the Snell standard is not representative of real world crash situations.

http://www.westcoastweasels.com/archives/PDF/Blowing_the_Lid_Off.pdf

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
While I havn't read the article you linked Jerry.. I have heard that Snell did change testing and certifications recently (other than the previous post from KM).

you said the article was done in 2005, 9 years ago.

I agree totally that a cheapy helmet that fits right is better than a $$$$ that don't fit properly.

That said, I wear a cheap 3/4 helmet, with a full face shield. I am glad to find out that there are some Snell/ece certified open face or 3/4 helmets out now.

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
There has been SNELL approved 3/4 helmets for many years....it's not a recent thing.

Yes, Jerry's article is a bit dated now. As I mentioned current SNELL standards are more in line with ECE ones now.

Keep in mind any of the above tests are only useful as a general comparison. Thères always the chance in "real world" situations where results can differ...or not be represented in testing. (They don't test helmets by running over them with a truck....for example..;) )

My Shoei cost me just under $300 and it is the nicest helmet I've ever owned. I realize its likely not any more protective than my $100 helmet....but it's features and fit are much better. If you want to say I'm foolish to spend that much on a helmet, I'll just say my heads worth it....;)

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
I feel naked without a helmet. I wear a half helmet most of the time but a fulkl modular in the fall and winter and also have a three quarter.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I feel naked without a helmet. I wear a half helmet most of the time but a fulkl modular in the fall and winter and also have a three quarter.
x2 ...I will not go around the block w/o a helmet....(my head is worth at least that much) :doh:

:smiley_th

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
me too actually.. I have ridden the corner store without it, and I don't like it.. My eyeglasses do nothing to keep the wind out of the eyeballs.. I don't have a set of prescription goggles (and I need the specs to see the idiots well enough to drive away from them), so I wear the helmet whenever I am on the bike.

stats show (at least with auto accidents, can only assume similar for motorcycle) that most accidents happen within a few miles of home (less than 10 If I recall correctly)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thanks for all your writings, peeps. Suddenly I feel more knowledgeable!

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
FYI I have this GMX helmet and it's great or the price. I also bought the wireless brake light kit. Worked great. Until. I hit some torrential rain this summer and the brake light compartment is decidedly NOT waterproof. When I got home I noticed the light was on even though it was off. I couldn't turn it off either. It ran for like four or five days.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DT1V7P4/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0050IRQHC&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=00N2H37EW8079173JT7G

·
Registered
27 Posts
Went down last night and my helm seemed to transmit a heck of a lot more force than I would have suspected. I use an '08 HJC basic model. What got me is that after 15 years of WMA Armored Combat I know a bit about being hit in the head, and I'm just really surprised folks in the motorcycle helm industry are not taking notice as a number of folks in my hobby have gotten their combat helmet's DOT approved.

I know my combat helm is like $800 new but visoelastic polymers aren't that much, nonnewtonian fluids are out there, and 3+ stage padding isn't that hard to make. Heck I find it hard to believe that a solid lance, sword, or poleaxe strike is harder than asphalt. I know that part of the protection is the deformation and energy absorption of properly tempered mild & spring steel but still.

Like here Brothers of Steel- HMB Full Contact Steel Vid

·
Registered
27 Posts
Oh I wouldn't wear it, I mean leather & synthetics ablate, but steel skips.

However physics is physics and coming off a horse at 25-30 mph from 5+ ft up isn't, according to that cool little PDF posted up (much appreciated BTW), that much different and jousting helms are used over and over.

It makes me think the two communities aren't communicating.

BTW lots of guys into armored combat are into bikes, so picture this: A guy in full kit goes around a bend and gravel has him skit out. Bike lays down at 50 MPH. Guy hits ground & is just like "darn, how am I gonna get home?" cause his kit saved every bit of him, however he discovers he's skipping down the road trailing sparks cause steel doesn't ablate like leather, and the cliff he's coming at is coming fast.

Lucky he hit the dirt, flanges, tassests and whatnot catch and he comes to a halt none too soon. From then on he wore his leathers on his body even if he still sometimes wore the steel helm.

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
Used to road race with a guy that put a strip of steel in his knee pucks. He'd go into a turn and leave a trail of sparks as he lightly touched his knee down.
Freaked out anyone riding behind him.....

Motorcycle helmets are made to take forces differently than combat helmets. You rarely have a direct impact crashing a bike. If your going 35 mph when your head touches down, impact is really a tangent. You're still "falling" at the same speed you would be if the bike wasn't moving.

Some research shows many riders don't get brain injuries from falling and hitting their head...it's from their head suddenly being twisted ...(think of an airplanes wheel when it first touches down as a plane lands)

Watched the videio you posted. Sorry, helmet or not I'm not going to let someone whack me in the head......;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts