Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Please let me know if this is normal or if it's an early sign of stator malfunction:

Battery voltage when off is 12.79, at idle is 13.35, at just past idle (1200 rpm or so) it's 14.68, all which is good. But as I increase rpm's, the voltage goes down a bit: at 2000 it's 14.55, at 3000 it's 14.45 and at 5000 it's 14.18

All the numbers show the battery is charging, but is it a bad sign that the voltage goes down as the rpm's go up?

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Hi all. Please let me know if this is normal or if it's an early sign of stator malfunction:

Battery voltage when off is 12.79, at idle is 13.35, at just past idle (1200 rpm or so) it's 14.68, all which is good. But as I increase rpm's, the voltage goes down a bit: at 2000 it's 14.55, at 3000 it's 14.45 and at 5000 it's 14.18

All the numbers show the battery is charging, but is it a bad sign that the voltage goes down as the rpm's go up?
No problem !!!!!

Most people fail to realize that the higher rpm's require more power to the ignition system, and higher rpm's mean higher stator output and once you hit 14.50v the R/R needs to bleed off any extra voltage to keep from doing system damage.

Your system is working flawlesly! :beerchug:

Someone has you in their good graces!! :notworthy ???

Reactions: rubyrick

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most people fail to realize that the higher rpm's require more power to the ignition system, and higher rpm's mean higher stator output and once you hit 14.50v the R/R needs to bleed off any extra voltage to keep from doing system damage.

Your system is working flawlesly!
Thanks Lance. I guess I thought the R/R should hold the voltage steady at the proper max voltage so I was worried that something might not be working properly. But I guess the higher the stator's output the more voltage the R/R needs to bleed and it's not a perfectly linear relationship. I feel much better now after your reassurance. Thanks again...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts