Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has been acting weird, the front cylinder is not firing, the wires have spark (tested them with a spark tester), but when I disconnect them from the park plugs the bike runs the same, it only develops under 1000 rpms at idle as only the rear cylinder is actually working/running:hitanykey. I wonder what the problem is??? :confused:Any ideas???:doh:

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
The wires may have spark but are the plugs actually firing. pop the plugs outa the front cylinder and look at them. Wet or Black with soot? (Too much fuel or proper fuel but plugs not firing) Or dry? (no fuel and the plugs are firing but burning nothing).

Just re-read and you say it happens under 1000? Your idle should be 1100.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
When I bought my bike It had a cracked plug wire cap. Couldn't see it at all. It would arc off to the cylinder wall, grounding it out. Take some electrical tape and wrap the plug boot with it and plug her back in. If its cracked that will make her run smooth. Also, never touch the porcelain part of the plug with your skin/finger. The body oils will cause the fire to run down the outside of the plug and go to ground.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
The wires may have spark but are the plugs actually firing. pop the plugs outa the front cylinder and look at them. Wet or Black with soot? (Too much fuel or proper fuel but plugs not firing) Or dry? (no fuel and the plugs are firing but burning nothing).

Just re-read and you say it happens under 1000? Your idle should be 1100.
Yep, I agree on the 1,100 rpm idle, for oil & spark benefit, but it wouldn't hurt to still do the checks and if needed go to the Iridium plugs...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DAVES:
"Just re-read and you say it happens under 1000? Your idle should be 1100."

Sorry what I was trying to say is that due to that problem the bike only idles at around 1000 RPMS, it will run higher given the throttle, but runs rough, I will take the plugs out and inspect them, and will check the wires as well, I will tape them up and check on what Chuck said. The problem is that the "miss" happens on and off, I rode the bike for 3 days w/o issues and the it did it one night, next afternoon road tested it and was good then the same night tryied and the problem was back... but anyways I'll check this afternoon and let you guys know...I got to go to work:drool:

·
Registered
458 Posts
A good way to check for leaking spark plug wires is to start the bike in the dark and see if you can see sparks jumping around.

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
DAVES:
"Just re-read and you say it happens under 1000? Your idle should be 1100."

Sorry what I was trying to say is that due to that problem the bike only idles at around 1000 RPMS, it will run higher given the throttle, but runs rough, I will take the plugs out and inspect them, and will check the wires as well, I will tape them up and check on what Chuck said. The problem is that the "miss" happens on and off, I rode the bike for 3 days w/o issues and the it did it one night, next afternoon road tested it and was good then the same night tryied and the problem was back... but anyways I'll check this afternoon and let you guys know...I got to go to work:drool:
oh ok got ya. . I would look at the power connections that feed the coil. They are flat connectors and I found one of mine was loose and looking to make trouble. When I messed with it the cylinder dropped off completely and it ran soley on the other cylinder. Just crimped it a little and no trouble since. Still good to check all those other things too, but it's another thought for today. Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went out to the garage this morning before coming to work, wiggled around the spark plug wire that I suspected from and the bike started to run better, I'm going to tape the spark plug wire head and see if that does the trick if it does I'll buy new spark plug wires...Let you guys know tonite... how much tape should I put on the head???:confused:

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I would start with a thicknes of about 3 wraps of electrical tape around the plug wire cap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts