Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1991 VN750 was running great until I washed it. Now it turns over no problem but will not start. I have checked all connectors for moisture and ensured that all grounds are tight and clean. I have pulled the plugs and they are in good shape . I get NO spark at all on the front plugs and an intermittent very weak (yellow) spark on the right side rear plug. I have come to the conclusion that it is either the igniter or both coils . I can not see both coils going simultaneously? If anyone has any other ideas as to what it could be or a way to tell if it is the coils or igniter any help would be appreciated
Thank you

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Let it dry off. Check the wires that go to the coils. Pull them off and puch them back in. You have gotten water on the connections and some have gotten some corrossion. All you can do is check the connections.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let it dry off. Check the wires that go to the coils. Pull them off and puch them back in. You have gotten water on the connections and some have gotten some corrossion. All you can do is check the connections.
Thank you for this information I did as you suggested pulled them off and put them back on numerous times and the bike now starts and idles but now there is a new issue. When idling it stumbles I took it out for a ride and it runs like crap 1. the tach indicates 6-8k and drops to 0 2. when accelerating the bike stumbles hard! would moisture in the electrical system or a low battery cause these symptoms? I have put the cover over the bike and plugged the Charger in to bring the battery back up to full and will take another whack at it tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Thank you for this information I did as you suggested pulled them off and put them back on numerous times and the bike now starts and idles but now there is a new issue. When idling it stumbles I took it out for a ride and it runs like crap 1. the tach indicates 6-8k and drops to 0 2. when accelerating the bike stumbles hard! would moisture in the electrical system or a low battery cause these symptoms? I have put the cover over the bike and plugged the Charger in to bring the battery back up to full and will take another whack at it tomorrow.
Moisture in the electrical system would cause these problems. I would also check your air filters. If they are wet the carbs might be sucking in moisture and causing the same problems. Also check the sparkplug wires and boots.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Thank you for this information I did as you suggested pulled them off and put them back on numerous times and the bike now starts and idles but now there is a new issue.

When idling it stumbles I took it out for a ride and it runs like crap
1. the tach indicates 6-8k and drops to 0
2. when accelerating the bike stumbles hard!

would moisture in the electrical system or a low battery cause these symptoms? I have put the cover over the bike and plugged the Charger in to bring the battery back up to full and will take another whack at it tomorrow.
Please forgive me for putting some spaces in your post so I could read it and understand it better.:)

Q: Is the engine actually reving to 6-8k rpm while riding?

The only advice I can offer is put some di-electric grease on ALL electrical connections after drying them off and/or cleaning them with some spray electronic contact cleaner. Look for "plastic safe" spray cleaner.

One more idea. Make sure the drains in the bottom of the spark plug tubes on one side of each cylinder are clear. If not the plug may be sitting in a pool of water.

See what a fully charged battery and cleaned connections do for the spark and engine running condition, then report back.:)

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I would also add some water remover to the fuel tank. That is for just in case you got water in the fuel tank.

And spray the side stand safety switch with wd and work it.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I too believe in not washing bikes with car wash pressure. Every once in a while I do wash at a car wash, but I'm taking my chances. I spray from a distance and try to stay away from electrical components.

·
Registered
57 Posts
(((With the key off)))))) I use carb cleaner on the contacts when you pull the connectors apart and spray inside the connectors. It will evaporate any standing water in the connectors. Then if youre feelin froggy, you could use some di-electric grease and put some inside the connector before reconnecting. This would ensure this didnt happen again and will help keep the connectors from corroding.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would start with your ground. Check it at the battery and follow it to the frame. Check your engine ground as well. When you have more than one electrical component failing that is the first place to start. As for the water? It should not cause any problems. I ride in rain all the time. I am talking about so much rain you can barely see. At 70 mph rain is going faster than when I wash it. If you get your biike wet and something bad happens, The water was not the problem. Something else is wrong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts