Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, while doing some afternoon riding, I switched the bike over to the reserve part of the tank.

I did this while on the way home, from out of town.

After switching over to reserve, and at highway speeds, the bike rpm's drop, and finally the engine quits.

This happens 3 or 4 times. Each time, I'm able to restart the bike (but only after several tries), and I finally make it home.

After making it back home, I first add 4-5 ounces of Seafoam to the tank, then top off the tank, and let the bike sit for 3-4 days.

Yesterday, I rode the bike (but with the same full tank of gas) nearly 50 miles, this time with no problems (but obviously I didn't mess with the reserve).

Any suggestions why the bike takes on a sinister personality while on reserve?.....:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
I hate to offer this, but it's happened to me (and others) on the Forum - make sure you're really going to reserve and not "off." For some reason, it feels backwards on the 750 - and more than once I've shut down my bike.:notworthy

Anyone else out there want to 'fess up?

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good point, but....I learned that lesson a while back.

This time, I had the petcock lever pointed forward (i.e., "push forward to go forward").

Anyway, if I had the reserve lever turned the other way (towards the rear), I figure it shouldn't have let me restart the bike (this setting would have starved the carbs)....

FYI: the bike is an '05 model, with less than 4,500 miles. I'm the 2nd owner.

And yes, it has a MF battery in it.....

Any other suggestions, anyone.....?

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
When you switch to reserve it can take a second to fill the bowls of the carbs. If you wait ti switch till you feel the bike sputtering that will happen, When you are at highway speeds you are using the remaining fuel faster that it can be replaced.
Once the bowls are full all is good.
Have you tried switching to reserve with a full tank and see what hapens?
Just rember to switch it back or you might run out of gad and be stuck with no reserve.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Cc....no, haven't tried running on reserve with a full tank.

But the engine stalling problem happened well after I switched the petcock lever forward. After I went to reserve, I threw in the clutch, and closed the throttle for about 10 secs or so, for it to "catch up" so carbs wouldn't starve (I learned to do that part earlier).

Am I chasing a ghost, here?.........:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
You may want to pull the petcock and see that there isn't something partially clogging the pickup for the reserve. About the only thing left you haven't checked.

Jon

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
i say check the reserve lines, sounds like a clog.... you may wanna try a high dose of sea foam with a li gas to fill the reserve lines overnight

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have had sputtering when switching to reserve at freeway speed. I think water and other undesirable things collect at the bottom of the fuel tank. Now I leave mine on reserve at all times, and never have that problem anymore.

·
Now what
400 Posts
Check that your battery cables are tight. The bike acts like it's possessed when one of them gets loose.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Reserve

Try doing reserve more often, I knew someone who never ran his bike on reserve and after five years had issues like this. It's always good to cycle the gas in the lower part of the tank.

Cindy

If you think the petcock on the Vulcan seems odd, you should try going between it and the one on my Buell. Forward is on, Straight Up is Off, Back is Reserve.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts