Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Men,

I decided I'd start a thread on which we all shared a short story of your most memorable trip. Without further ado,

I recently packed up my backpack and rode the Vulcan out to Blacktail Butte. I then climbed the 1100 or so near-vertical feet and hiked a few miles onto the butte, set up camp and slept under the stars.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha very nice man. i'd kill to have been around to see him live. Now all I have is the internet.....

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and very clever btw.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Well my fav bike trip was from here in St. Louis MO to Cherokee lake in TN for the Cardnal Cove Vulcan Gathering in 2006. I however made the trip with my soon to be wife on my new FJR 1300.

A stones throw from the Dragons Tail and nearby Gatlinburg where we spent our honeymoon after being married at the lake by and with our Vulcan family.

Good food, good friends, and even a jar of "White Lightning" presented to us by the resorts host.

Veiw from our 14th floor hotel room looking out over the Smokey Mountains:

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Ha, ha, ha….all clever jokes aside….there’s something about a multi-day trip (& not just a weekend) on a bike like the VN750…to a place (or places) you’ve never been before….that every VN750 owner should experience at least a few times. An extended ride like that puts real adventure back into travel again, and it’s fun in a way that going by car/truck can’t match.

If its rear driveshaft splines are properly lubed and in good shape, and the rest of the bike is also in good working condition, the VN750 makes for a pretty good touring machine (except for its small fuel tank, and uncomfy seat), thanks to its low-maintenance design (most 750cc-class bikes made now don’t have shaft drive, self-adjusting valves, & a centerstand).

But somehow, the VN750 doesn’t see much serious long-distance action on this Forum.

Not long ago, I left south Ga to take the advanced MSF class in Marietta, GA. After passing the course, I left there and rode the north Ga mountains for a few days.

Every VN750 driver should spend some time on roads curvy enough so that some of the tail lights you see are your own….:)

I wouldn’t recommend taking a trip like this without a GPS. A GPS lets you spend more time riding and enjoying the scenery, and less time futzing over maps; it also gives you the luxury of getting “lost” in the first place, without having to worry about later finding your way back out.

Also—I would suggest that trips like this are planned (when possible) so that you don’t spend much time watching the clock. Time is the ultimate luxury, and there’s a good reason why Peter Fonda begins their journey in “Easy Rider” by throwing away his watch!

Slow down long enough to take good pictures of/during your trip. Then after the ride, archive these pix to a safe storage place. Later in life, you’ll be glad you did….:smiley_th

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Ok, so usually no one has to ask me to post a story. Most of the time they get one whether they want it or not. What happens when you actually ask? So glad you asked!

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19594&highlight=adventure

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18873&highlight=adventure

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18256&highlight=adventure

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17003&highlight=adventure

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15993&highlight=adventure

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15808&highlight=adventure

Anyway, these were all tons of fun for sure but I like to believe the best trip hasn't happened yet. :motorcycl Good idea Sam, thanks for posting this! :smiley_th

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
Mike,

Not for nothing but Carrie stories now? We have all been waiting for some Julz stories for some time now, not that rereading about Carrie isn't always an "adventure" for the mind but...........Come on and give us a new series to look forward to.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha awesome stuff guys. And theauhawk, you couldn't be more right. My 1400 mile trip out here to WY was great, and it was actually the first time I've ever actually driven myself further than Wisconsin.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Mine was the ORIGINAL Woodstock concert...I was um, 13 ? sort of...cousin took me, and we ended up eventually at Big Pink.

Bike trip was from Rockland Co.,NY to Gabriels, NY where I used to live, on my 1968 Sportster. Stop in Saratoga to see an old GF. Then out to Plattsburgh just to find out Plattsburgh AFB (Home of the Thunderchief) was closed :(. Then I hit all the topless bars on the way down.:smiley_th

·
Registered
56 Posts
must memorable bike trip in my VN750:
Day after purchase took 1st trip around town and hills. Snow and ice @ 2ft high, rode around 40 minutes. After trip and help :doh: from wife to peel me off bike ended in bath tube full of hot water, hour later ordered a windshield (internet as is was a Sunday). Following day the skin in the back of hands was peeling off. Found out those touring winter gloves are actually useless. Therefore windshield/heated grips. :)

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Well here's mine on the VN750... May-June...??? 2009
The Good The Bad and the Ugly…Ok, the ride started as I left my house at 5:15 am Sat. morning and met 2 riders at the Manchester Tenn. Huddle house… One was riding a Kawasaki and the other a Honda…
We left Manchester at 6:00 am and traveled to McMinnvile Tn. where we picked up the other rider who rode a BMW… Then the ride went via Hwy 70 thru Sparta, Crossville and on to Crab Orchard, then turning in a northerly direction on a pretty crooked road (SR-62 &) to Oliver Springs then up 330 & 116 thru Briceville to Lake City where we hit old US 25W to LaFollette and on north to Morley and then east on Hwy 90and then 190 into Pineville Ky., and staying the night in Pikeville… Denny I think we got pretty close to you, I remember seeing Hazard Ky., gotta say that most Ky riders we met waved and seemed to be very friendly too, most were not wearing helmets so it must not be required in Ky.
From here on I’ll just name the towns as I can’t remember the Hwy numbers… BTW-it came a goololly about 2 or 3 o’clock Sunday morning…
We left the motel about 5:45 am in a slight mist and fog and on a wet 4 lane road into W.W.Va. and very hilly coal mining country, I mean these roads were carved out of the sides of bluffs and were still wet from the rain…
We rode beside some river for a ways that was flooded and very muddy, saw some old tires and a lot of junk floating down stream…
We rode on into a small coal mining community and on past the mine toward another mining community till the road turned to gravel and had washes that we did not want to travel on, so we turned and back tracked out…
I remember going thru Pineville & Welch W.W.Va. and a place called War its hard for me to remember all the little mining communities…
We made it into Marion Va. For the night…
Left out of Marion on Monday morning about 5:45 am and the temp was a bit cold at 45* in a light fog… We ate brunch about 10 o’clock and traveled on coming into E. Tenn. near Kyles Ford… From there we traveled on to US 25E between Tazwell and Morristown, then left US 25E a tad south onto Hwy 33 via Washburn then on to Halls Crossroads and US 441 to Racoon Valley road to Oak Ridge then Hwy 95 to US 58 via Kingston to Hwy 68 and across Watts Bar dam to Spring City down US 27 to Dayton, then west on Hwy 30 to Pikeville Tn., Spencer and to McMinnville then Hwy 55 to Manchester, I arrived Home in Winchester about 5 pm and very wore out and glad to be home…
The Good-There were some awsome roads in E.Tn., E.Ky., W.W.Va., and W.Va. … Some of those will or do outdo the Dragon Tail, I have never been on such twisties as in the coal mining mountains of W.W.V., they were something to behold, curves that you had to watch your own tail light, cliffs on one side and drop offs on the other, over hanging rocks dripping water, you name it…
Awsome also meaning requiring more skill than I seem to have…lol…
The Bad-There was really not much bad but we did travel short distances on some 4 lane roads and go thru a fair sized town or two, that is about the only thing you could say was bad… Oh and I took my camera and did not take a single picture, darn…
The Ugly-I went down on one of the W.W.Va. hairpin turns somewhere not too far from a place named War… I really got lucky, it was a pretty low speed go down and I only got a elbow, knee, and shin scraped up and the bike got the headlight light rim, made a pretty good scratch on the Frt. Brake Res., got my Tach. A bit, bent the right side bar back +/- ½”-1” and broke the Rt. Hwy. Bar bolts…
It knocked my headlight out by breaking a switch I had on it, but I fixed that by streight wiring the ground when we got to the motel in Marion Va. …
Oh, the reason I went down, very simple-Head In Arse-that’s about as simple as I can explain it…
I had rode 1,145 mi. in the 3 days we rode, for me and the roads we rode, that was too many miles per day, and we started too darn early (before 6 am), 20 yrs. ago that would have been good, but at 72 by 1 or 2 o’clock I was just wore out and my arse was dragging my tracks out, I don’t think I will do another ride like that on that kind of roads, 350-400 mi. on streighter roads I can handle ok, but on the twisties like those, about half that is about all I want…
That's about all the story, as best I can remember & tell it…lol…
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
....Daym Doggie brother !...you startin to write as good as LibbyPilot !....great sheit bro !... truly enjoyed....next time I might be down there, Im gonna visit....already promised Slim a ride up there, so mebe next year...but I truly have been there, ridden/drove...and I loved it !!!,,,just hope ya got some meat on the spit I can eat before headdin back...hell....you aint THAT far.....same as Slim....a day's ride...I can still do that, I think...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts