Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont have the $ to buy a new battery, so i got some acid for $5.54 and filed mine up. Works good.
I still have half a bottle of the acid and there are no instuctions on how to stor it.
I cut it open to use the tube so theres no way to close it.

Any sugestions on storage of battery acid?

Yes is out of reach of my kids already.

Thanks
clark47

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
I dont have the $ to buy a new battery, so i got some acid for $5.54 and filed mine up. Works good.
I still have half a bottle of the acid and there are no instuctions on how to stor it.
I cut it open to use the tube so theres no way to close it.

Any sugestions on storage of battery acid?

Yes is out of reach of my kids already.

Thanks
clark47

Tape it shut w/duct tape and put in a small box.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
First, I would not recommend storing battery acid at all. It's dangerous and you won't need this for a long long time and it's cheap enough to buy again later. Bring it to back to the place of purchase for them to recycle. However, it must be stored for transport to the place of purchase. I would try to put the tube with the acid in it in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid. Keep the tube in an upright position while inserting it in the glass jar.

Don't dilute the acid with water as this could cause a harmful reaction. Please don't pour it down the drain because that could also cause a harmful reaction and could hurt your pipes and septic system. Please don't mail it back to the place of purchase! Please don't store it or your kids might one day find it and get hurt.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Tape it shut w/duct tape and put in a small box.
Lance, I don't know about duct tape and a box. If the acid were to tip it could eat through the duct tape and the cardboard box. Then it would cause a big mess.

·
Premium Member
4,748 Posts
It could be transferred to a plastic jug for transport to a battery store. They should accept it for reuse.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good call rubyrick,
it was cheap enof not to risk keeping around the house. place of purches is about 500 yards down the road so aint nothin to bring it back for proper disposal. thats what ill do today during the kids nap time.

thanks
clark47

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
good call rubyrick,
it was cheap enof not to risk keeping around the house. place of purches is about 500 yards down the road so aint nothin to bring it back for proper disposal. thats what ill do today during the kids nap time.

thanks
clark47
Glad I could help out, Clark. You may just have averted a big mess or worse. Kids have a way of finding things that can hurt them no matter how good you hide them!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Glad I could help out, Clark. You may just have averted a big mess or worse. Kids have a way of finding things that can hurt them no matter how good you hide them!
My younger brother found an Orange Crush bottle half full of gasoline sitting beside the gas pumps one time when he was about 3 years old. Someone had used it to prime a carb to get a car started and left it sitting there, where he found it. He thought it was soda pop and took a drink. He aspirated some of it into his lungs, and we almost lost him.

If you HAVE to keep dangerous chemicals around and you have kids around too, at least keep the chemicals in a locked cabinet.

·
Super Moderator
11,827 Posts
I would have just dug a small hole in the backyard and poured it in, then covered it up. This is exactly what they do to it if you turn it in to recycle.

Acid breaks down fairly quickly in nature and is not an enviromental issue unless you have hundreds of gallons to deal with. Battery acid is basicly sulfuric acid, and will break down into water, and oxygen gas.

You could toss a cup of lye into the hole, and hurry the process. Lye and acid will react violently so stand back , but the result is table salt , hydrogen and oxygen.

KM

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so nutrilizing it sounds good now.
i have called...
napa
advansed auto parts
local police department
cycle gear
sunrise cycles
pick and pull junk yard
auto plus junk yard
local fire department

and noone has a clue where to bring it. only problem with the back yard thing is i am in military housing and here there is no such thing as "the back forty" its mor like "the back three feet" if you know what i mean.
i have some baking soda on hand so i'll do that and just throw it away.

thanks yall
CLARK47

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You will need a big box. Wear eye protection and be very carefull. Acid and Bases tend to react very violently when mixed.

KM
glad you said somthin cause im thinking that wouldnt have crossed my mind till it was to late.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Take it to your Auto SKills center/auto hobby shop they will know where to get rid of it. They probably will add it to there acid container if you haven't neutrilized it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i'll run it by the auto/hobby shop on monday. there are three that i know of on my base. if they dont take it theres probeble someone there that could use it. if not then its the bakin soda

i would much rather someone use it even though its cheap then to trow it away

thanks
CLARK47

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Clark, I thought you were just going to return it to the place of purchase which was just 500 yards doen the road. What happened? Would they not accept it?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rubyrick, that place down the road was #2 of 8 on my earlier post of places that would not exept acid.

They sell all sorts of batterys and he even mintioned a core value if i bout a new one, so they have to take old batterys, but they wont take the raw acid

clark47

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
First of all, do not store battery acid. It is sulfuric acid, and will cause severe burns. By far the worst thing that could happen is getting it in your eyes. I assume you've gotten rid of it by now, but if not, just pour it on the ground, then soak the area where you poured it with a water hose. That will render it completely harmless.

I totally recommend a WestCo sealed battery in all motorcycles. Jerry.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
, just pour it on the ground, then soak the area where you poured it with a water hose. That will render it completely harmless.
Diluting it with water AND baking soda is a better way to make battery acid harmless.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
THAKS FOR REMINDING ME!!

I had honistly forgoten all about it. Since I started this thred I have had family visiting and had to take leave for a week for minor surgery so I was down and out for a week.

It is now taken care of. Just did the baking soda and lots of water in tht back yard, it's rainy season and to cold for the kids to play out side so I'm not worryed about it.

Agin thanks guys!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts