Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today I put the 750 to sleep for the winter. Added stabil to the full tank, Ran the engine until the carbs ran out of fuel, and fogged eached cylinder. Changed the oil, wiped down all the chrome with a oily rage. Put the bike on the center stand with a piece of plywood under each tire, removed the battery. and waxed the rest of the bike. Finally, I covered it with a sheet. BTW, bike is stored in an unheated shed. See ya in April.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Look forward to hearing from ya this spring if not earlier.

·
Registered
553 Posts
You put it up allready? your weather can't be much different than mine, I'll ride until it snows(usually late Nov if I'm lucky) Did you let it run long enough to get the stabil into the carbs? if not probably no big deals since you drained them. I would rubberband some sandwhich bags over the tail pipes to keep out extra moisture and mice. Sounds like you got all the other bases covered cept maybe letting about 10-15 lbs of air presure out of your tires.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Woody said:
I would rubberband some sandwhich bags over the tail pipes to keep out extra moisture and mice.
Mice? That's what that smell was. First backfire of the year will take care of it, though.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
cegodsey said:
Mice? That's what that smell was. First backfire of the year will take care of it, though.
then catch it and put the mouse in a sandwich

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Rubline said:
Well today I put the 750 to sleep for the winter...
Sounds like you did everything by the book. Woody's suggestions are good.

I'm going to try to ride my bike all winter this year, keeping the battery on a trickle charger and taking it out for a spin every once in a while. In my neck of the woods there are a lot of days that are dry and 35-45 degrees. (Of course, I may change my mind if we plunge into a deep freeze for a month!)

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Rubline said:
Well today I put the 750 to sleep for the winter. Added stabil to the full tank,
After all the talk about Seafoam here you used Stabil? Why would you want to hurt your bike like that.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
EasyRector said:
Sounds like you did everything by the book. Woody's suggestions are good.

I'm going to try to ride my bike all winter this year, keeping the battery on a trickle charger and taking it out for a spin every once in a while. In my neck of the woods there are a lot of days that are dry and 35-45 degrees. (Of course, I may change my mind if we plunge into a deep freeze for a month!)
2 words.....heated gear ;)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stabil has been around alot longer than SeaFoam. I figure if its good enough for outboards and alike, its good enough for the Vulcan. As far as continuing to ride?,,, I enjoy riding but when I leave for work at 530am, I dont feel like freezing my kulunnes off. If both wheels are off the ground, why would I need to lower tire pressure? Ive never done it before with my trusty 74 Z1B or my 72 H2.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
It will be interesting to refer back to this thread in the Spring. There is a large group of folks who claim that stabil does more to gunk up the carbs and cause today's gasoline to go bad even faster. There is a pretty good thread going right now on the yahoo group about this exact thing. They claim that seafoam is a better fuel stabilizer and will keep the deposits from forming.

I guess we'll find out.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Maybe put in some seafoam to keep the stabil from going bad... Actually I've used stabil for years and never had a problem but I think this year will be seafoam only, will see what happens next spring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts