Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Overkill? Whats that?
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so since my rear fender has been cut and the rear frame section what do y'all think is the best way to get some storage on my bike? Thinking I want at least enough room to hold a 12 pack.

Here is how the bike looks on the back side. Note the rear fender is only held on by 2 bolts so too much weight slung over it and it will sag into the tire. Any good ideas on how to add support to it so i can just sling over a set of saddle bags?

Ideas that i've had so far include

1. Support fender so a set of toss over soft bags can be used.

2. Rig up maybe an old ammo can. However I'm not sure what size to look for but I know a 50 cal can looks way to big on the bike and a 9mm can just isn't large enough to hold enough stuff.

3. Make up a "sissy bar" back rest of some sort that i can Hang a duffle bag sized thing off of.

I'd really welcome any input. I'm loving the VN but if I'm gonna go on a 4 day trip by myself come march i'm gonna need more than a backpack. . .

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
you dont need much for a 4 day ride just bungie cord a bed roll on the front and toss some clothes in a backpack and a bottle of what ever brand of "water" you like best

·
Overkill? Whats that?
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you dont need much for a 4 day ride just bungie cord a bed roll on the front and toss some clothes in a backpack and a bottle of what ever brand of "water" you like best
you are forgetting beer and tools. i have a tendancy to be thirsty. hehe

·
Registered
222 Posts
you are forgetting beer and tools. i have a tendancy to be thirsty. hehe
****, tools shouldn't be a problem, unless you need to do some major work a 10mm and 12mm wrench/socket would be about all you need. bungie cord a duffle bag to the rear fender should be able to hold enough.

·
Overkill? Whats that?
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
****, tools shouldn't be a problem, unless you need to do some major work a 10mm and 12mm wrench/socket would be about all you need. bungie cord a duffle bag to the rear fender should be able to hold enough.
rear fender currently won't support more than about 20 lbs. . . and that's a bit sketchy on rough roads.

I learned long ago that having too many tools isn't a bad thing. I keep a small jump pack, wire snippers, needle nose, regular pliers, a couple of allen wrenches a 6 way screw driver, a set of combo wrenches from 6 to 19, a socket wrench with a 10 / 12 / 14 / and 18 (spark plugs) a bit of extra wire, duct tape and electrical tape, some extra fuel hose. If that tool set doesn't fix it I don't need to try to do it on the side of the road. . .

·
Overkill? Whats that?
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
Storage on a bobber? That sounds like the guy that traded in his F250 for a Chevy Volt because he didn't like the gas mileage on his truck. After a week or two he was complaining about not having enough room to haul things because there was no cargo bed on the Volt. lol Sometimes you just can't have your cake and eat it too but you can increase what you are able to carry on the bobber without changing it into a cruiser or touring model. As mentioned already, a bedroll hung from the forks or bars is good and if you put that into a compression bag there are all kinds of things you can carry including your choice of "water" with the blanket or sleeping bag used for added insulation. Having it on the front keeps it in sight so there isn't a silent drop along the road. A tool bag roll is great also and easy to make yourself with potential room for additional items such as cell phone chargers or what ever. This can be hung from the rear as the weight will make enough noise if it falls unless your pipes are exceptionally loud. With these you can keep with the bobber style of eliminating most everything not necessary to make it go or stop. Good luck remember to post more pictures when you decide how you are going to proceed.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
I think beefing up your fender is going to be your best bet. You could make a simple luggage rack if you bolt it to the fender mount bolt and the top shock mount for stability. Maybe use some bent flat stock or some welded plate.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
I dunno how conducive the bars are for a tank bag. I think he is going to be leaned over the tank too much to have a lot of storage room.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Storage on a bobber? That sounds like the guy that traded in his F250 for a Chevy Volt because he didn't like the gas mileage on his truck. After a week or two he was complaining about not having enough room to haul things because there was no cargo bed on the Volt. lol Sometimes you just can't have your cake and eat it too but you can increase what you are able to carry on the bobber without changing it into a cruiser or touring model. As mentioned already, a bedroll hung from the forks or bars is good and if you put that into a compression bag there are all kinds of things you can carry including your choice of "water" with the blanket or sleeping bag used for added insulation. Having it on the front keeps it in sight so there isn't a silent drop along the road. A tool bag roll is great also and easy to make yourself with potential room for additional items such as cell phone chargers or what ever. This can be hung from the rear as the weight will make enough noise if it falls unless your pipes are exceptionally loud. With these you can keep with the bobber style of eliminating most everything not necessary to make it go or stop. Good luck remember to post more pictures when you decide how you are going to proceed.
Remember my bobber when I left strange days?I think I had a "little" bit of stuff on her.gonna have to strengthen up that fender or make a rack above it.I carry my tools in a fork bag strapped to the bars and had some throw over bags.also had a mountain (no joking here) strapped to the rear fender,plusses duct tape and police crime tape.

·
2,494 Posts
I think beefing up your fender is going to be your best bet. You could make a simple luggage rack if you bolt it to the fender mount bolt and the top shock mount for stability. Maybe use some bent flat stock or some welded plate.
Really, adding a luggage rack to a bobber? Heck, for that matter he can go out and add a set of big hard bags to it but would it still be a bobber? I actually expected something more innovative from you, M_Angell. (No disrespect meant with that comment.) I agree anyone can call their cycle anything they want but that does not mean it actually fits within the broad terms of a definition and if it doesn't there is no big problem for most. You could call it a bulldozer and it wouldn't matter but is it actually? He has a bobber and seemed to be intent on keeping it a bobber by his original question. Adding a bed roll and/or tool roll will not change the bike itself as they are attached via bungees, straps, parachord, etc. They are not actual parts of the bike like a luggage rack or bags would be.

I admit that anyone can do anything and it is his/her choice as to what he does and what he calls it. Best of luck just the same.

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
I dunno how conducive the bars are for a tank bag. I think he is going to be leaned over the tank too much to have a lot of storage room.
I put a tank bag on my race bike and it had clip-ons. Bag made a nice place to rest my chest on.;)

No one mentioned a backpack either....

·
2,494 Posts
Remember my bobber when I left strange days?I think I had a "little" bit of stuff on her.gonna have to strengthen up that fender or make a rack above it.I carry my tools in a fork bag strapped to the bars and had some throw over bags.also had a mountain (no joking here) strapped to the rear fender,plusses duct tape and police crime tape.
There seems to be a difference in a Rat Bike and Bobber and I do not mean any disrespect. Adding luggage racks and other integral items such as saddlebags to a cycle that has everything removed except what doesn't make it go or whoa changes the category in my opinion. Rat bikes are a little bit of this and a little bit of that all mixed together without regard to any particular style or content as I understand it.

When you left Strange Days you had a few things on your bike. I saw it on Saturday just before I left and you were already trying to pack some things on there that early for your return ride home on Sunday. Everything you were packing on was held on by straps, rope, crime scene tape and therefore was not part of the bike itself. A rack would be integral to the bike. All this is just semantics I will admit but I thought he was interested in keeping with the bobber style.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
I have seen a rack the width of the fender that was right above it to strap stuff to(think it was Fabricator Kevin,who is an awesome fabricator)that didn't take away from the bobbed look

·
Overkill? Whats that?
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There seems to be a difference in a Rat Bike and Bobber and I do not mean any disrespect. Adding luggage racks and other integral items such as saddlebags to a cycle that has everything removed except what doesn't make it go or whoa changes the category in my opinion. Rat bikes are a little bit of this and a little bit of that all mixed together without regard to any particular style or content as I understand it.

When you left Strange Days you had a few things on your bike. I saw it on Saturday just before I left and you were already trying to pack some things on there that early for your return ride home on Sunday. Everything you were packing on was held on by straps, rope, crime scene tape and therefore was not part of the bike itself. A rack would be integral to the bike. All this is just semantics I will admit but I thought he was interested in keeping with the bobber style.
ya I'm thinking of trying to do some sort of quickish release ammo can mount. whatever i do i don't want it on the bike full time, just as i need it kind of deal.

I love the bobber idea but I'm keeping the gauges lol.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Really, adding a luggage rack to a bobber? Heck, for that matter he can go out and add a set of big hard bags to it but would it still be a bobber? I actually expected something more innovative from you, M_Angell. (No disrespect meant with that comment.) I agree anyone can call their cycle anything they want but that does not mean it actually fits within the broad terms of a definition and if it doesn't there is no big problem for most. You could call it a bulldozer and it wouldn't matter but is it actually? He has a bobber and seemed to be intent on keeping it a bobber by his original question. Adding a bed roll and/or tool roll will not change the bike itself as they are attached via bungees, straps, parachord, etc. They are not actual parts of the bike like a luggage rack or bags would be.

I admit that anyone can do anything and it is his/her choice as to what he does and what he calls it. Best of luck just the same.
"Luggage rack" is what I should have said. I was imagining something kinda like a super short looking fender to go over his fender just behind the seat. Something that doesn't look like a traditional luggage rack. I guess you could call it a stuff pad or something lol. I suppose you could hide it and stick it under the fender too. But what I was imagining wouldn't take away from the look of his bike. Guess it's kinda hard to explain without a sketch.

EDIT:

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
I have seen a rack the width of the fender that was right above it to strap stuff to(think it was Fabricator Kevin,who is an awesome fabricator)that didn't take away from the bobbed look
See that's what I was thinking. You can blend it in with the rear fender and it just kinda mixes in with the bike. No flashy chrome or anything. See my above crappy sketch lol.

·
Overkill? Whats that?
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
what about something like this? with that kind of angle i should be able to toss bags over and they would stay.

Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts