Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Ford
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i have been dealing with my exhuast popping since i got the bike and it wasnt to bad until i put on my cobra pipes. I have tried turning the carb screws, tried both kawasaki and harly gaskets and caped off the air system on the part that goes to the motor. It STILL pops. I cant take it any more so what can i do to make it stop???? please help

·
Ford
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i might try that i dont think mine are out that far. Only one side pops i think its the left. is it ok to only have one carb with one 4 out or do they both need to be the same? also for the left side its the carb on the right side right?

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
i might try that i dont think mine are out that far. Only one side pops i think its the left. is it ok to only have one carb with one 4 out or do they both need to be the same? also for the left side its the carb on the right side right?
they really need to be adjusted as close to the same as possible,although their is usually a small difference in the two.I know you have heard all this before but are you sure there are no air leaks into the exhaust?Have you taken a cigarette or incense and held around the pipe flanges to see if the smoke is moved by the exhaust while Idling and have you torqued the clamp nuts equally,tighter is not always better. good luck and hope this helps.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
With V&H Cruzers, I have my mixture screws out 4 turns.
Be careful turning the a/f mixture screws out anymore than 3 1/2 turns.
At ~ 5 turns the screws fall out.
Use a dollop of silicone sealant over the screws to lock them in.
They do not have to be turned out equal distances. Just far enough to stop the popping.

Can`t answer question about carb orientation to cylinders. Sorry.:(

·
Registered
686 Posts
Is it ok to only have one carb with one 4 out or do they both need to be the same? also for the left side its the carb on the right side right?
Like Denny said, "usually a small difference between the two"....Yes, it's OK to have one out further than the other. Back the popping side out 1/4 turn...run it. Continue 'til popping stops (It will) but don't go out further than 4 turns....Gordon is right...5 turns and you're looking for the screws along the highway :doh: Embarrassing

·
Ford
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys i have the iridum plugs too. the popping just bugs me cause it happens alot. when ever slow down it starts popping intil i stop unless i hold the gas on a little bit. Still waiting in the carb answer too

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Thanks guys i have the iridum plugs too. the popping just bugs me cause it happens alot. when ever slow down it starts popping intil i stop unless i hold the gas on a little bit. Still waiting in the carb answer too
I don`t know if the popping can be eliminated entirely on every bike, but it can be greatly reduced. My engine intake and exhaust is still totally stock, and it backfires when starting sometimes, and pops when decelerating. That`s just one of the things I need to do on it, when the weather and my leg permits.

·
Ford
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya I know it might not be posible to get ride of it but its worth a try. Just need to figure out which carb it is

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Well, if you are sure there are no air leaks...at the carbs, the reed valves, exhaust, and how ever you plugged it.....not sure what would help other than downshifting harder.

I assume you are burning regular gas. Now it might help to use a higher octane fuel. Although I'd just live with it...(I actually liked the sound) higher octane gas is more resistant to igniting... so it might help. May take two tanks or so to dilute out the regular gas .....

KM

·
Registered
686 Posts
Assuming you have eliminated all leaks, you can stop the popping!

Start over.
1. Turn both mixture screws (pictured) in 'til they seat (stop). Don't force!
2. Turn both out 3 full turns (with the tool I use (pictured), I can only turn the screw half a turn so I turn it 6 times).
3. Run (ride) the bike. If it still pops on decel, turn out 1/4 turn and ride the bike again.
4. Repeat step 3 until popping becomes a rumble or stops.
5. If one side continues to pop, turn that side another 1/4 turn at a time 'til it stops.

Look closely at how the carbs are connected to the cylinders....the carb on the right is connected to the rear cylinder (left exhaust).

Edit: Just read KM suggestion regarding higher octane...GREAT advice!!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I found it it was the stupid tube that goes to the carb. plugged that and its all gone yay!!!!
Be more specific my man!! Which tube on the carb? Goes to the carb from where?:confused:

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
It's a little late to chime in now, but I have to ask - why the big fuss over the popping? (of course, with those after market pipes, it may be REALLY loud).

I was thinking of marbling or coastering, but I have come to actually like the sound - it sounds pretty tough to me. I have the stock exhaust, and it really isn't all that loud or annoying to me.

I guess it's all just a matter of prefernce though. I like mine the way it is, but am glad you were able to figure your issue out. I second what OlHoss said - which hose was it??? The vent hose maybe...?

AZ Kev

·
Ford
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
my sounded like extremely loud popcorn popping i it was just embarsing as soon as you let of the gas it popped until you stopped

1 - 20 of 23 Posts