Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys here is the idiot :doh: back again from last year with carb troubles most likely from lack of use and/or ethanol. Sorry yall can all boo throw maters etc...

The bike is back on SeaFoam again and kinda seems to be running slightly better. Problem last year as well as last week was bike seems to accelerate fine, idled bad when it idled, and would not return to idle unless I choked it down to idle with clutch. Now back to rough idle but seems to drop back relatively dependably again now. Still don't think it's running really good and I know have yellowing on right side. Have I ruined it? SHould I plan on a carb overhaul?

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
Have you changed the battery to an AGM maintenance free?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. But it has new regular lead/acid battery in it. I was planning on switching to AGM but ... I really wanted some seat time and local parts store had to order so I just went back regular. It's like 3 weeks old.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Still don't think it's running really good and I know have yellowing on right side.
What is yellowing? the exhaust pipes? Blueing pipes usually indicate a lean fuel mix and excessive heat. Not sure about yellow.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
My right one is yellow too.

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
I tried that Seafoam stuff this year. I remember once I had a Honda CR-250 that I couldnt get to run clean. I used this stuff called PJ1 Octane Booster. After a few ounces in the tank all of a sudden one day the bike woke up and almost lurched out of my hands. From then on it ran great. That stuff must have cleaned out some little orifices or something.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I'm thinking the chrome starts out kind of yellowish before it hit's the blue color. My right pipe looks this way from the day I got it. Near the head is bluish in color & further out it is yellowish before the chrome looks normal again. Just guessing here.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
If you are in fact talking about the pipe yellowing, and it's only on the left, I'm pretty confident you have an air leak on the back cyl, either from a vacuum hose cracked, carb boots not seated right or cracked, or something with the emissions leaking air. Getting too much air is something that causes the symptoms you mentioned where it wouldn't idle down and ran like crap. It also is a bad thing for your pistons and valves cause it runs really hot with too much air. I'd start by shooting some carb cleaner around various connections, vacuum hoses, carb boots etc while the bike is idling and see if you hit a spot that makes the bike sputter or raise the idle. Hopefully you'll find the leak this way. Otherwise, I'd start replacing vacuum hoses and see if you can eliminate the problem.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok next stop hunting air leaks. The yellowing is on front pipe probably the first six inches or so. Its a crying shame the chrome can't be all that color I like it! I did have a lot of the air stuff loose last fall I may have a leaking carb boot. I think the discoloration happened on the interstate last week hadn't noticed til then. But it spent 35-40 gettin close to 6 grand. Thanks for the great ideas.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok sprayed the carbs earlier and it looks like front carb is leaking at the head so, on my way digging down to the carb are there any special considerations? Things to pay special attention to?

thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts