Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my first try at changing my seat a bit. I will redo the seat again, recovering it and making the passengers part wider. Wide enough to cover the cut edge of the grab bars. I can take more pics when I go to disassemble this first try; if anyone is really interested. For my first attempt all I did was cut the back rest portion of the seat pan off at the bend. Squared my edges and reapplied the cut piece horizontally. I added on to the frame underneath, extending the frame pipes under the backseat by 3-4". I used the same cover & the same padding. I added 2 little pieces(3.5") of aluminum bar stock mounted on each side of the seat. These line up with the grab bars rear screws to hold it all down.

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
This is great. I did the exact same mod to my stock seat... but I didnt leave it that way because the tail seemed to angle down too much. Also wasn't sure which way to go regarding a mount. Now, what are you using for support under the tail section? Also, you did a really nice job cutting the grab bars. What did you use? Ban saw with metal cutting blade? Limited shop tools on my end :(. Nice job tho. Cool to see that someone else did this.
Dave.

·
1,100 Posts
Knifemaker, I hate those buttons. You modded your seat too didn't you, and got rid of them? Probably have to recover it tho due to the holes?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Knifemaker

DavesVulster
I fit smaller diameter steel pipes into the open ended pipes of the frame, to extend the frame 3-4". Then leveled the passengers pan. So, no more sloping down in back.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, you did a really nice job cutting the grab bars. What did you use? Ban saw with metal cutting blade?
Thanks.
Nope, I used a hack saw and did it by hand.
I see I still have some scratches to sand out.:(
At least my line was straight !

·
1,100 Posts
Awesome. I was thinking of extending those frame tubes. Now one more question (for now lol), what did you come up with for mounting?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Looks good. I've been kickin' the idea of do that with my Saddlemens seat,then putting an aftermarket passenger backrest on her.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chuck A.
"Looks good. I've been kickin' the idea of do that with my Saddlemens seat,then putting an aftermarket passenger backrest on her."
Thanks, that is exactly what I plan on doing.

DavesVulster
"Awesome. I was thinking of extending those frame tubes. Now one more question (for now lol), what did you come up with for mounting?"

"I added 2 little pieces(3.5") of aluminum bar stock mounted on each side of the seat. These line up with the grab bars rear screws to hold it all down."

If you look carefully at the second picture you can see the aluminum piece extending down below the edge of the seat, down to the grab rail mount/bolt. Actually you can see the extended frame pipe in that pic too.

·
1,100 Posts
Nice! Thanks again.

·
1,100 Posts
Keyman did you shorten the tail a little bit too? When I flattened mine it came right to the edge of the taillight lens. I thought it looked too long but yours doesn't to me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I did shorten it a bit. This was all done to give more room & comfort for my queen and myself. I also added a sissy bar yesterday. It came out pretty good, with lot's of room for both of us. :smiley_th :beerchug: I will post more pics later today.

·
1,100 Posts
Oh man that's awesome. That's my reason for wanting to modify it. I like the look of the original seat (except the trunk- I think I'd like that better if it was flush with the backrest bar even though it would be almost useless for holding anything ;)). But I really appreciate you sharing ideas. I mostly ride alone but do like to take my lady on it as well. Think they missed it a little in the design phase. That's why people like us are around though! Can't wait to see what you've come up with for a back rest. Take care Keyman.
Dave

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

·
1,100 Posts
Wow! I love it. It makes the bike look longer. You did a great job. Your lady must be so pleased. Thank you for posting these.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
That turn out great looking. Thats what I'm wanting to do. I love my bike and just don't really want to go to a bigger bike. I'm thinking more on the line of a two piece pillow top seat from the Yamaha venture for my bike. We have a fabricator at our shop where I work that can built anything. I'm working on him to build a mounting system to look factory.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Nice job !!!

What I need though, is similar, but the cooch hump shoved back a bit...Im 6'1", and the stock seat, which I dont mind, that hump is too far forward and my knees are bent too much...
Wonder if I could remove a lil stuffing then restretch...wanna add them buttons to mine too...mines just plain smooth...Wolfie dont like that...
Any ideas appreciated, because I like the way you did yours, and the looks ! :smiley_th

·
1,100 Posts
Taking some of the stuffing out might do it for you. i think I read that the saddleman seat has a lower cooch and sits back a little farther than the stock. The only way they could achive that is with the padding since the frame is what it is. You like the buttons??? ;) actually I like the way they look, but after it rains if ya forget to wipe her off you get a cold splash up the butt when you sit down, and then the foul language follows soon after, ha ha.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Foul language, moi ???

Fowl language, moi ? The Wolf ?....."cluck, cluck, gobble gobble"....lol
I only hillbilly cuss, i.e. : "I bet yer momma wore yer daddy's boots, and I KNOW yer daddy wore yer mamma's girdles" or "I'll whup you like a red headed stepchile" or "dang you !"....lol
But yaa, I like the texture the buttons give...as fer a wet butt ?...wouldnt be the first and wont be the last ! Too many miles under my posterior to worry about a minor issue, lol.
Heck, back in '77 I rode a Suzuki 90 8 speed 400 miles in one day. Was snowin when I left, then went to sleet/hail, then to rain, then finally to sun. By time I got to where I was goin', was dry as a bone. Suzuki engine needed new rings though, lol. Hardcore, or no ?
I may see if I can find an old Snortster steat cheap...the kind with the steel seatpan, so's I can bend to fit. I really dont need no p-pad, so a lil sliver is fine. I'd run a solo, but them silly frame members would show....unless i covered em with a rack....
I gotta call some old friends and see if they got some throwaways...because I live on $40/week, funds are limited, so its all gotta be "hillbilly engineering", if ya catch my drift....;)

·
1,100 Posts
Ha ha, yup hard core for showuh. I used to ride in the snow but I just don't have the drive to do it anymore. I have a vn900 seat that I'm selling but it's like new and I need to try and recoupe some of whay I payed for it. A few mems put the snortster seat on their bikes and they look pretty sweet . Good luck.
:)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts