Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short My original ignition switch failed (Worked but no starter) I did some studying of my shop manual and the wiring harness and figured out It’s possible to use a 3 prong Harley Davidson sportster switch! Now I’ve been wanting to re-locate the switch for a very long time without it getting in the way of everything so this is my solution to it all.

Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system

Hood Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Bumper

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tire

Bicycle part Wire Electric blue Heat-shrink tubing Cable

Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system Auto part Bicycle drivetrain part

And if anybody else wants to do this modification I have a simple wiring guide for you!

White = battery
white/black stripe=Battery
Yellow= Ignition
Red= Accessory
Orange/Green strip = Accessory
Red/Blue Stripe= Acessory
Brown/white Stripe=Acessory

B=Battery
IG=Ignition
L=Accessory

Just a note my wiring harness is cut down and modified pretty heavily. For anybody else who would want to do this just remember, you would have to modify the harness to Move the switch as far down as I did.

The switch is from a 1988 sportster. Others can most definitely be used I just found this one easiest and most convenient to mount.

·
Registered
10,061 Posts
I responded to this post yesterday then it disappeared. ??

This would be a good sticky post.

First time I recall anyone outlining how to get rid of the stock switch. HD switch should be a lot easier to find and lower priced.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thought maybe you deleted it, doesn't seem like spam. Weird.

I had also asked about your single carb. Have we seen that before, your's I mean?
I posted about it before but the set up has changed exponentially. The biggest reason I did it was to make more room/I wasn’t impressed with the performance whatsoever with OEM.
Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Wheel Vehicle

Land vehicle Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Tire

·
Super Moderator
234 Posts
Yeah I’m not sure why it disappeared lol
I am so sorry, that's my fault. It came up in the spam queue, and at first glance I thought it was a well-crafted advertisement and removed it. I should have read it completely through. I'm the rookie, bound to screw up once in a while, lol!

Forgiven? :cry:

·
Super Moderator
234 Posts
Thread is now “stuck” 👍
Yeah, good idea! Just wondering, wouldn't any aftermarket ignition switch work? OH, and some really awesome news: So, not sure if you kept up with my gas cap adventure, but long story short, ended up buying a new OEM cap and tumblers for a whopping $200. Yesterday, I discovered (accidentally, of course) that the key that came with the tumblers actually works in my ignition. Looking at it closely, it's nearly identical to my original ignition key. I wonder if it's sort of a "blank" or, one-size-fits-all kinda thing?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, good idea! Just wondering, wouldn't any aftermarket ignition switch work? OH, and some really awesome news: So, not sure if you kept up with my gas cap adventure, but long story short, ended up buying a new OEM cap and tumblers for a whopping $200. Yesterday, I discovered (accidentally, of course) that the key that came with the tumblers actually works in my ignition. Looking at it closely, it's nearly identical to my original ignition key. I wonder if it's sort of a "blank" or, one-size-fits-all kinda thing?
It has to be at least a three prong but yeah any other ignition switch should work! And that key you were talking about it’s probably a KA14. That key fits quite a few bikes in Kawasaki’s lineup. I have a unhealthy amount of information stored in my head about the vn750.. Pretty soon I’m gonna start a medium size project on the bike and put in a XV1100 triple tree on it! That way I can actually use proper rises and clean up the all in one gauge I have going on.

·
Super Moderator
234 Posts
It has to be at least a three prong but yeah any other ignition switch should work! And that key you were talking about it’s probably a KA14. That key fits quite a few bikes in Kawasaki’s lineup. I have a unhealthy amount of information stored in my head about the vn750.. Pretty soon I’m gonna start a medium size project on the bike and put in a XV1100 triple tree on it! That way I can actually use proper rises and clean up the all in one gauge I have going on.
Funny you said that, I want to get rid of those silly little rectangular indicator lights myself. I shared a pic the other day of what I'm kind of thinking, but if you missed it, here it is:
Vehicle Land vehicle Speedometer Motorcycle Motor vehicle

Something else I've been considering (with the help of my brother) is using a Samsung Galaxy Watch, a Galaxy smartphone, and hooking it all up to the bike via a Raspberry Pi and a microcontroller. Then, I'll have to write an app that will allow me to use the Galaxy watch as a HUD inside a helmet.

If I do it right, I should be able to see almost all of the bike's info at a glance without taking my eyes off the road.

I know I could probably spend a bunch of money and buy a ready-made system (if anything like my idea even exists?), but I think it would be not only cheaper, but pretty damn cool to make my own. Or, it could be a bigger headache than it's worth. Who knows?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Funny you said that, I want to get rid of those silly little rectangular indicator lights myself. I shared a pic the other day of what I'm kind of thinking, but if you missed it, here it is:
View attachment 54435

Something else I've been considering (with the help of my brother) is using a Samsung Galaxy Watch, a Galaxy smartphone, and hooking it all up to the bike via a Raspberry Pi and a microcontroller. Then, I'll have to write an app that will allow me to use the Galaxy watch as a HUD inside a helmet.

If I do it right, I should be able to see almost all of the bike's info at a glance without taking my eyes off the road.

I know I could probably spend a bunch of money and buy a ready-made system (if anything like my idea even exists?), but I think it would be not only cheaper, but pretty damn cool to make my own. Or, it could be a bigger headache than it's worth. Who knows?
When I get a chance I will post about it but I’ve been working on something similar myself. I’m attempting to reverse engineer the ignition box for my bike. I’m trying to add a little breakers instead of fuses like a Harley. Basically custom wiring harness custom everything one box controls all. I already have software built for notifications and performance metrics for my V rod that I used to own but it’s suffered a horrible end. As far as I know there are things like that you were talking about I just like to do everything the DIY way. And by the way That speedometer you have Photoshopped there is like 30 bucks from Amazon. it’s a pain in the ass to set up I own the same one But I honestly do recommend it if you get one after you work out the quirks and I can always help! (I went to a GPS speedometer on my bike that’s why I got rid of that one)

·
Super Moderator
234 Posts
You had me at "software". I used to do a lot of programming in some of the older languages, but I've been recently trying to get back into it by working with python and java. The android software development kit is great, too. I'm going at a snail's pace though, got so much going on.

I don't use Photoshop. I'm a Gimp guy, running Linux Mint with the Cinnamon gui. Switched to Linux from Windows back in 2017 and haven't regretted it.

I do keep an extra laptop with Windows on it just so I can use the Samsung Watchface Studio. Couldn't get it to run with Wine on Linux.

I like your ideas and I'm definitely interested in learning more. That indicator box in the dash just looks silly. Mine's an '06, but that box looks so 80's.

I'm still working on little mechanical quirks and cosmetic stuff. I'm saving the major system alterations for the boredom of winter.

Sorry for the long reply. I'm fresh out of potatoes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts