Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I did accomplish the ACCT "retensioning" it wasn't too bad, just hard to get my fingers to do what I wanted them to do. ( the fingers I have left, anyway)

There still seemed to be pleanty of spring left before it bottomed out, so I guess they aren't broken. They "snapped back freely" so they aren't sticking. The problem is, I still have a rattling sound, almost like a diesel running. Knocking wasn't a very good description. Is there anything I should look for? I only spent $200.00 on the bike and another $100 in getting it running. As long as it isn't anything serious, I can probably just live with a rattly $300.00 bike and be thankful for what I have.

I hear there is a lot of discussion about how much these bikes rattle. Maybe I'm just too picky. I don't know of any other Vulcan owners, so I don't know what amount of rattling is acceptable.

Any thoughts?

bk

·
Registered
11 Posts
buy a set of manual tensioners and it will take the rattle away. i am picky too and can't stand the sound. check my post under manual cam chain tensioners. it will cost you about $100.00 but is well worth it for the amount of money you have into this bike.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out whether my engine is rattling from the ACCT issue. I think I hear something every once in a while, but it's definitely not a constant thing. Does anyone have a sound clip of a "genuinely rattling cuz of ACCT issues" engine?

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
I'm gonna hafta get a mic. Mine usually starts that way for a minute or so, then goes away. I know mine is the ACCT, 'cause thats what it sounds like. Don't ask me how I know that. Follows along with how I can fix a computer by just walking up to it, or turn off a street light by just walking/driving under it.

If your engine rattles, then you have a greater than 90% chance that it's your ACCTs. Get the manual tensioners. At least then you'll have an idea how much adjusting you've done so you'll know when you need to replace cam chains.

(OK, 90 % was arbitrary, but it's probably pretty close)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, I installed my V&H Cruzers today. That's eliminated about 90% of the rattling I've heard lately. The stock exhaust system was basically loose and ready to fall off. Now it's nice and tight and sounds even better. What a transformation the bike's undergone with the exhaust upgrade! Anyhow, is there any harm in running the engine with a worn ACCT? Do the chains end up wearing into something and creating a lot of metal flake (that the oil filter will hopefully pickup) or is it a benign condition?

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
I've read two posts that it is truly malignant. The flake ends up in the screen at the oil drain plug. If the sound comes and goes, then the ACCT is doing its job, at least part time. I'd be concerned if it starts doing it a lot or all the time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Certainly. Mine sounds pretty goods most of the time, it's occasionally at a light when the engine is hot that I can hear something odd, like the odd tick. Me engine has 14,000 miles on it, so I wouldn't expect it to be in dire need of adjustment, but I will certainly keep an eye on it. Perhaps ride through the season and attempt to fix it in the winter when I'm not riding so often. Thanks!

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Come to think of it, when I first heard it (at about 14K miles), it sounded like an engine firing at TDC, if you've ever heard that. Or like loose camshaft rockers hitting the valves. Now when I hear it, it sounds like a loose chain.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had an irregular chain click, ended up being the oil pump chain hitting the crankcase.

·
One Less Car
67 Posts
Somebody please tell me what ACCT retensioning is and how I can do it to my 2005 Vulcan that is starting to get this famous rattle sound?

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts