Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have replaced the regulator and still not its not charging. The stator was tested several times and that seems normal.

"check voltage on the brown wire at the r/r... if low, check voltage on pin 13 of the jb... if voltage is high then the diodes inside the vr could be burned out causing wrong trigger wire readings." Slim

I checked the volts at the brown wire and that was sitting just around 12ish even when revving the motor. I was unable to find pin 13. and what is a vr?

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Voltage regulator?

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
With the engine running, at the r/r you should see:
Black/yellow wire: Below 0.5V.
Brown wire: Above 13V.
White wire: above 13V.

More things to check (with ignition off):
- Resistance from Black/yellow wire to battery negative terminal.
- Resistance from White wire to battery positive terminal.
Both should be less than a few ohms.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

how do you check resistance? If the brown and white wires are below 13 v, what can be concluded? I think I tested the brown wire with the bike running and it was about 12.6, which was the same as the battery.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts

how do you check resistance? If the brown and white wires are below 13 v, what can be concluded? I think I tested the brown wire with the bike running and it was about 12.6, which was the same as the battery.
Resistance is measured in ohms. On the meter, is usually designated by the Greek letter Omega (Ω). Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Sorry, I have exhausted my limited knowledge of electronics! Someone else needs to chime in.

·
Registered
241 Posts
To check resistance with that meter, turn the dial to 200 in the section marked Ω (Ohms). Put the black (-) probe in the Common/ Ground position (bottom of the three positions). Put the red (+) probe in the V/Ω/mA position (middle of the three positions). Take following measurements and report the readings back here.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Battery is sitting at 13v, tested the black/yellow and that was sitting around 11v, the white wire is in the 12's. All this was done at idle. The resistance for the black/yellow is at .6 and the white wire is at the same .6.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
you have 11V at the Black/yellow wire??? is that with black test lead on the MM to the wire and Red test lead to Battery +? or is that Black to ground, and red to wire?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok can someone clarify I ran the test the right way. For the black/yellow wire I think I used the pos lead on it and the connected the neg lead to the neg on the battery, is that correct?

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Yes that is correct. You can try to hook up a jumper wire straight from the black/yellow at the r/r to the battery negative and see what happens.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think its time I get a new harness, because I think I just destroyed my new regulator. When I was trying to get the regulator off the harness it would'nt budge. Took some force but I finally got it off and found out that the black/yellow wire had melted on the prong of the regulator.

I have traced the wire all the way to the gas tank and no breaks in the wire, I decided to cut it and splice it on to a known ground wire fired the bike up and still nothing. I am still getting like 12 v on that wire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Charging issues.

Ok people. Lets see if you can help me out. First off, I don't know squat about fixing stuff. That being said I have a charging issue. I DID change the stator myself. (very proud of myself for even trying it) And it started on the first try. And the old one was bad. I changed the VR also just in case.

My problem is it's still not charging. I read the posts and i'm confused by all the initials you guys use.

I read VR= voltage regulator.
What is the JB? and the 13th pin?
Any help you guys can give me is greatly appreciated.

I tried to do the Black/Brown wire from the VR to the Neg cable = i got a high Ohm reading. Same with the White wire on the positive.

Help me please. I want to get back out and ride.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
JB is Junction Box. Mounts on the left side of the battery box. Sorry I can't help you more.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Pin 13 is the referance wire for the R/R (Regulator/Rectifier) I am thinking you have a bad Junction Box as well... seams like these things are prone for bad diodes, wich causes bad readings back to the R/R, which in turn doesn't allow it to charge high enough, or causes over chaging issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thx.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate all the help given cause I need all the help I can get. I'll change the JB next and see if it solves my problem. A little background b4 I log out, and i'll be sure and post if the JB solves the problem.

I went out and bought a better multi-meter. I checked the stator @ idle and it was 20.something V and went over 40v when i revved it. I also checked the connection from the stator to the R/R and the wires are all good. I checked the fuses (all good). Next I will get a JB prob from Ebay (unless someone tells me not too) and change it. Again thx for all your help. Every little bit counts. Keep em on 2 wheels.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
I decided to cut it and splice it on to a known ground wire fired the bike up and still nothing. I am still getting like 12 v on that wire.
Then it is still not grounded. Did you check the voltage of the 'known ground wire'?

What would cause the ground wire to heat up that much?
What comes out of the regulator must go back in. The same amount of current it is outputting goes back via the ground wire. That current creates heat where ever it goes through a resistance. The contact must have been bad, and has heated up. The contacts in the connector are replaceable. Remove the burned up contact, clean the connector housing the best you can and insert a new contact. Also clean the mating contacts on the r/r and hope for the best.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts