Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I recently picked up a '93 and went to put the choke on to start it the other day and noticed it was wicked stiff and hard to move the choke lever. Well the next time I go to put the choke on, the lever snapped right off. So I was wondering if anyone has replaced the choke lever and how hard (or hopefully easy) it is. Also, any tips for a stiff choke lever?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hey everyone, I recently picked up a '93 and went to put the choke on to start it the other day and noticed it was wicked stiff and hard to move the choke lever. Well the next time I go to put the choke on, the lever snapped right off. So I was wondering if anyone has replaced the choke lever and how hard (or hopefully easy) it is. Also, any tips for a stiff choke lever?
It is easy to replace, simply remove the grip, loosen the controls and slide it off. You do need to lube the line and break it free first, most on here will say wd-40 or pb blaster, but like the books say, use motor oil, it will then last. I myself only used wd-40 heavily, but was a temp fix and I plan to replace the line anyway. Completely remove the line and then break it free and lube it. I exercise it twice a week at least, using motor oil would be much less.

·
Registered
194 Posts
most on here will say wd-40 or pb blaster
first off, you need one of these:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/205/4838/ITEM/Motion-Pro-Cable-Luber.aspx

without it, it takes a long time to get lube to the end of the sheath. they work like a champ, had one for 30 years and it still works fine.

i used to use "tri-flow" but it's hard to find except online, good stuff. i use the motion pro cable lube, it is designed for just that purpose while wd40 and pb blaster are multi-purpose sprays. expensive at $12 a can locally, but pretty much a lifetime supply, or at least a good decade. it doesn't take much with the applicator.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/197/10154/ITEM/Motion-Pro-Cable-Lube.aspx

do it like a pro and your cables will last a damned long time. my '88 has all original cables and they are all smooth as silk. in the end you will save time and money! once a year or two is fine!

·
Registered
450 Posts
That is a waste of $10. The straw easily fits between the line and cable. Like I said before, motor oil is preffered. The line is stainless steel and the cable is coiled steel. There IS corrosion "unless your a perfect weather weekend warrior and garage kept" and having an outdoor bike is immediatly subject to corrosion, which yours obviously isn't. When it starts to corroed, it will leave rust and other residue inside witch you will never get out. After and during lube you need to cycle the line to lube everything including the "junk".

BTW if you lube it on occasion with either lube, it will last long enuff before the lines are over stretched and need replacing anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.