Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

stereo for the bike?

4K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  DavesVulster 
#1 ·
so does anyone know of a cheap and effective (and hopefully easy) way to get some tunes for the bike? i was thinking of an ipod mount on the handlebars, but i need speakers that go loud enough to hear over the wind and vance and hines pipes? anyone done anything like this that worked?

#2 · (Edited)
yup. Shark water proof (probably really water resistant) motorcycle speakers. I have a pair with their small amp. I sync my droid phone thru bluetooth and off I go. Check out www.gooddeals18.com. They are very reasonable and ship fast. The speakers I bought - one had a slight buzz to it, emailed them and they sent a replacement real quick. Didn't even want the other speaker back. Decent guys over there. Good luck.

#4 ·
Looks good... Damn fine price, and much better then assembling the parts myself like I was looking at. Just picked one of these up and look forward to having it all mounted up for my trip end of next month.

#22 · (Edited)
This is the best I can do right now. The speakers are mounted to the top of the fork tube using the mirror mount brackets that came with them. I just bent the ends to angle the speakers in a way to allow full handlebar movement.

Attachments

#5 ·
man sorry, i can't help but chime in... a radio?? man if i wanted noise, i would stay home with the phone ringing, kids yelling, tv blaring, and wife shouting. the #1 reason i ride is for the PEACE it brings me! i actually wear high end ear plugs now, can't even tell they are there and i have stock exhaust and plexi-fairing.... peace i tell ya!

sorry for butting in to your post though ; )

ride on and crank up the ozzy, bro!

#6 ·
I have the Pyle PLMA 60 ,100 watt system on my bike,plug my phone into it and enjoy it a bunch can hear it well up to highway speeds,and it is rather inexpensive.but I will upgrade it later to a full car stereo unit and speakers and amp,When I buy a fairing .What I have now works well with the police style windshield I have on it now.

I ride a lot of rural 4lane roads and it helps to break the monotony while trying to get from point A to B quickly.Keep your eye on the speed though, it will sneak up on you with the tunes cranking and rolling down the highway.

#7 ·
I download a playlist to my phone, throw the phone in my pocket, run ear buds under my shirt up to my ears, throw my helmet on, and ride. You don't have to do anything to your bike or buy speakers to get road tunes - unless you want to of course. Ear buds are like $4.50.

Let us know what direction you take, I'm curious. :smiley_th

#8 ·
I did that for a while but on long rides it would cause my right ear to get sore.I know ,I'm just too sensitive :)

#12 ·
first off, i LOVE music. so why WOULDN'T i want some tunes on the road? i live in rural iowa. its a half hour drive just to get to the store. sometimes i ride for pleasure, but sometimes its just to save gas when i have to go somewhere.

as far as the earbuds go, in iowa, it's illegal to have headphones or earplugs in while operating a motor vehicle.

as for adding to cycle haters, why would they hate you any more? cuz they can see you... and therefore not hit you. it can be construed as another way to make your presents known, though there is nothing more effective than defencive driving

#13 ·
well said denny6006, well said

#16 · (Edited)
Let's be realistic and if ear buds are such a no no than what about all the other things that I see mentioned on line here like changing exhaust systems that would never pass state inspection for loudness and emissions if enforced, abiding by strict speed limits, kicking cager doors, etc, etc. I am not sure how many of us would be 100% legal with our rides if we got down the the real truth. I say do what you want as long as it doesn't infringe on my personal safety and pursuit of happiness. Overly loud music blasting over my chosen music is an infringement on my personal happiness whether you are in a car or on a bike near me. I do not fully accept, "If its too loud, you're too old." I want to hear my choice and not necessarily your choice.

#17 ·
^ I hear dat. I used to blast my radio when I was a puppy. That was many many years ago.

I pulled up to a red light and another "supped up" car pulled up next to me. It was like a speaker on four wheels. His windows were all the way down. There was so much bass coming out of his trunk, I looked at my rear view mirror and it was vibrating so bad I couldn't see out of it.

So I shot him.

#20 ·
^ Fair enough, I think silencing an entire bar is awkward enough. :beerchug:

I was chillin with the Jul yesterday out front her place enjoying the weather and Summer blonde brew. Two guys road by on big ol' touring bikes, one of them had music playing loud enough for us to hear it clear as day from 100 yards. That was pretty cool I thought. CCR too...

#21 ·
I use my droid phone with either local mp3 files or a streaming app like Pandora, an app that you can wave your hand by the phone to skip songs, and a gps app that turns up the volume when you increase speed. You don't need it that much louder than you'd have it in a car if you have a shield on the bike. If you don't have a shield, why bother? Just use ear buds. Also I mounted my speakers to the bolt on at the top clamp of each fork tube. With a little bend to the mounting brackets you can fit them and still have full turning radius. I'll see if I have a picture somewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.