Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...spare me the lectures. I know I shouldn't do it, but we have all done it....
Pulling up to a stop or simply driving down the road, we take our hands off the handle grips. These bikes are well balanced and we can travel a fair distance without fear. That is unless you have a wobble.....like I do. Steady as a rock when both hands are on, but let go and the it starts to wobble almost uncontrollably. I have checked the obvious...rotors, stem locknut, etc. There is no play in the steering column at all. Tires are well balanced and free of defects.:confused:
Any other suggestions??

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I have checked the obvious...rotors, stem locknut, etc. There is no play in the steering column at all. Tires are well balanced and free of defects.:confused:
Any other suggestions??
Yes, don't take your hands off the bars. ;)

Do you have a windscreen of any kind? Handlebar mount screens can make a big effect.

How fast are you going when you do this?

Have you made any change to the chasis or suspension?
Lowering the bike, worn shocks , weak fork springs, low oil, or out of line wheels can cause a wobble.

KM

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, don't take your hands off the bars. ;)

Do you have a windscreen of any kind? Handlebar mount screens can make a big effect. Does it with or with windscreen.

How fast are you going when you do this? <20mph

Have you made any change to the chassis or suspension? None...all stock

KM

see comments above....

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
Looks like you've checked all the usual suspects. It might be one of those things where it just happens. My ninjas, my Vulcan, and my VStar all did it, but only on specific road surfaces. On most others there was no visible vibration/wobble. It's happening a lot more frequently on my daily rider Ninja, but that's because I ran the tires with too little PSI and they're nicely cupped/scalloped.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Too little tire pressure can cause this too. Tires can look great but be a tiny bit out of balance and cause wobbling. Easiest thing to check is tire pressure. You probably want at least 36 in the front, near 40 in the back. I ran 36F and 42 back to make up for the cheeseburgers...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I was just reading this thread about excessive vibration.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15141

In post #11 lance mentions "steering stem spanner nuts". I am not sure if that is the same thing as the locknut you have checked or not.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
mine wobbled until i put the new tires on this year so go feel the tires

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bet the front tire is suspect. If you run your hand over it I bet its cupped.
mine wobbled until i put the new tires on this year so go feel the tires
L2,
Was ready to take you up on the bet....no visible sign of wear or cupping. But rubbing hand over the tire and you can feel it.

Wanted some 110/90/19 ME880s anyway....just didn't think it would be this soon.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts