Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Having read through a thread about the mythical vn750 steering lock... I found mine! I'm guessing it wasn't lost. Just hiding.

As they say, "It's the little things in life" 馃馃徎

Premium Member
Welcome. Steering locks and helmet locks are worthless to me. About the only time I park my bike unattended is at a fast food place, where I can see it out the window. I put my helmet on the right side mirror.

Registered
I'm confused why you wouldn't use the steering and helmet lock. I understand not relying on them, but why not use them? I figure a helmet won't come off the lock from a wind gust or a person bumping into the bike (with their body, not a car). A young kid won't try on your helmet for fun.

I don't want the unknown of my helmet falling and a well meaning person putting it back up. If it hit hard enough, it's no longer safe to use, but I'd be none the wiser.

Locks don't prevent theft, they keep honest people honest. The best theft prevention is owning a bike that's worth only $1k. 馃檪

I have no sympathy for people that have things stolen from their unlocked car.

Premium Member
I have a dumb question, when you guys mention 鈥渟teering lock鈥 are you talking about something other that the ignition key position turned all the way to the left?? I know where the helmet locks are you鈥檙e referring to.

Registered
I have a dumb question, when you guys mention 鈥渟teering lock鈥 are you talking about something other that the ignition key position turned all the way to the left?? I know where the helmet locks are you鈥檙e referring to.
It's the forks lock function on the ignition switch. Mine has an arrow with "push in" on it. Push in, turn, forks are locked.

I forget at the moment whether it's left or right. To the right I think. Turning to the right without pushing in turns on the parking lights.

I use mine if I'll be out of sight, it keeps anyone from just pushing your bike away. If they wanna push, it will have to be in circles.

Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
Yes, that is what they are referring to. I always lock mine when I am away from it. Otherwise someone can literally just roll away with it. Sometimes I also use the lock-chain that originally came with the bike when new. I bought my '06 new and still have/use the chain.

As for my helmet locks, when I added the hard mounted bags I repositioned the helmet lock up higher on the passenger backrest (the tall one). Since then I have gotten into the habit of simply leaving my sissy bar luggage on the bike so that covers up my newly positioned locks. To that end I paid a visit to my local Home Depot and bought a good length of their plastic-covered cable (don't remember the size) and made myself a series of lockable lanyards.

Longer ones lock the sissy bar bag down and a shorter one that I drape over the handle bar that takes care of my helmet.

I NEVER, EVER leave the bike in an unsecure position.

Premium Member
I just never leave mine in an unsecure location. It is for recreational use only, I don't park it in a Walmart parking lot and leave it there for an hour. It would either be gone or laying on it's side, lock or no lock. I have uses a gun lock to lock my full face helmet to the handlebar. I wrap the cable around the chin bar, not just the D ring. They always seem to put helmet locks where either the helmet or bike or both will get scratched up. I bought a used bike once, the seller had used the helmet lock, it allowed the helmet to hang down on the exhaust. Melted plastic all over the exhaust, and a big melted place on the helmet. He offered to give me the helmet. I declined. It was not easy getting all that melted plastic off the exhaust. On my '02, I had the oem Kawasaki saddlebag mounting/turn signal relocator brackets, which required the helmet locks be removed from the seat rail. For a nice clean look, I took a Dremel and cut off and ground down the helmet lock brackets. There was a place on the accessory saddle bag mounting/turn signal relocating bracket to mount the helmet locks, but I used those holes to mount a flag holder, since I am a member of the Patriot Guard Riders.

Premium Member
Ah ok, thanks for the clarity. I have a top box mounted on my luggage rack. As long as its not loaded I stash my helmet in there. As far as the steering lock I鈥檝e always just turned the key all the way to the left with the handlebars fully turned to the left as well. I鈥檓 curious now so when I get the bike out of the shop (dead stator) I鈥檒l mess around with the key positions.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I'm confused why you wouldn't use the steering and helmet lock. I understand not relying on them, but why not use them? I figure a helmet won't come off the lock from a wind gust or a person bumping into the bike (with their body, not a car). A young kid won't try on your helmet for fun.

I don't want the unknown of my helmet falling and a well meaning person putting it back up. If it hit hard enough, it's no longer safe to use, but I'd be none the wiser.

Locks don't prevent theft, they keep honest people honest. The best theft prevention is owning a bike that's worth only $1k. 馃檪

I have no sympathy for people that have things stolen from their unlocked car.
Tend to always lock the bike with an alarmed disc lock and slot the helmet over the sissy bar with a chain through the helmet lock. After much wiggling of the key and handlebars having the steering lock work is that extra bit of security 馃憤馃徎 I'm in the UK and there's a huge issue with youngsters on mopeds stealing bikes whilst they're being ridden...not much you can do to stop that other than ride quicker!

I was at a biker breakfast this weekend and was surprised how many people were locking their helmets. While others (like me) just hung them on the bike.
Now if I'm going to a large event such as bike week, I'll Cable lock it.

Registered
I put the saddle bag brackets on so it moved the helmet lock further back. I use a full face helmet so I pop it on the stock sissy bar and run a chain through the face and lock both ends with the helmet lock. Works like a charm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts