Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find the Stebel Air Horn at a cheap price? To my understanding they are known to go for around $35 to $36, I haved checked EBay and Amazon and they start around $45 and go all the way up. Also, does anyone if I am going to need anything additional (relay, wiring and/or mounting kit) in order to install them. I would really like a PLUG AND PLAY method, if possible.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.:smiley_th

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find the Stebel Air Horn at a cheap price? To my understanding they are known to go for around $35 to $36, I haved checked EBay and Amazon and they start around $45 and go all the way up. Also, does anyone if I am going to need anything additional (relay, wiring and/or mounting kit) in order to install them. I would really like a PLUG AND PLAY method, if possible.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.:smiley_th
A Stebel Air Horn will draw plenty of current (amps). Any competent tech thus would install an additional Relay, through which the increased horn current to flow. The original horn button may be utilized to operate the added relay.

Plug & Play ..... ?

hope this helps

WilliamTech :smiley_th

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Our VN doesnt kick out a lot of spare electric to run a compressor well (IMO)...will work, but.....if ya want a louder horn, go to an auto scrapyard and get an older Chevy Impala horn. Direct replacement (wiring), and only about $5. Fiamm also makes a straight electric in 2 versions, one deeper, one higher pitch...about $12....

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Our VN doesnt kick out a lot of spare electric to run a compressor well (IMO)...will work, but.....if ya want a louder horn, go to an auto scrapyard and get an older Chevy Impala horn. Direct replacement (wiring), and only about $5. Fiamm also makes a straight electric in 2 versions, one deeper, one higher pitch...about $12....
I run a pair of Fiamm HI/LO Freeway Blasters off a relay.
LOUD like a pair of Chevy horns with the relay.
Not even a peep testing them w/o the relay, with only the original wiring.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A Stebel Air Horn will draw plenty of current (amps). Any competent tech thus would install an additional Relay, through which the increased horn current to flow. The original horn button may be utilized to operate the added relay.

Plug & Play ..... ?

hope this helps

WilliamTech :smiley_th
Hi William,

Yes that is helpful.. I am also trying to see if anyone knows where I can get them cheap. I am $45 is ok but was trying to save some money.

Plug and play? Lol I was looking for something like you unplug one plug the new one and away you go. Just like on a computer. Lol.

Thanks again or your suggestion...

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...oh well....nobody listens to us old farts Hoss...think about it...thats $25 bucks worth of beer he could drink, or put gas in the tank...

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
...oh well....nobody listens to us old farts ....
Yeah but they do start to pay attention when we start smelling up the corner .....

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...oh well....nobody listens to us old farts Hoss...think about it...thats $25 bucks worth of beer he could drink, or put gas in the tank...
Lol Wolfie, as an old fart my self, I am all about being able to save money and you are right that's $25 worth of gas I can get. I am just trying to get the biggest bang for my buck or just the loudest for my buck lol. I don't of any auto salvage yards around here. I saw somewhere on the forum that auto zone sells the ford Taurus horn for $5 or $10. Will check that option as well..

Thanks again,

·
Registered
1,021 Posts

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Hell .... I have a couple of cars I'm junking out .... I'd send you the horns off one of those for shipping

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know that many of us have different opinions on the types of horns available to upgrade. The one thing I think (IMO) we ALL have in common is that we agree that we need/should replace the OEM horns on our bikes. Now having said that, I have opted to go with the WOLO Air Horn. My request is the following, whom ever has the WOLO or even the Stebel already installed on their 750 to please (if you have them) post pictures of the placement of the installed horn. Honestly, that's the only thing that is holding me back to tackling this upgrade.

I am even thinking of leaving the OEM horns on but NOT connected for two reasons: one, in the event that the WOLO's go out for some reason or another I will have a back up. The other reason is (actually I am being lazy lol) is finding something to cover the spots of the OEM horns. I have seen a chrome plate with two eagles on it (like a license plate) and it looks really cool. I then thought I can replace it with some custom license plate to decorate the spot. Then again I am open to any suggestions.:)

I pretty much understand the connection process but I do have one question:confused: in regards to it, the OEM horns have two wires each and I know I only need the one set to make the full connection (relay and all). However, with the second set from the second horn, once I unplug them do I then just tape off the ends and tuck them away? Or do I combine them with the other set to the connection. I hope it doesn't sound confusing, basically taking the fours wires and connecting them to make two sets to then make the connection. Is this correct?:doh:

Thanks in advance for everyone response I truly appreciate it.:beerchug:

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Want a horn that will get you noticed? Go get one of these. Not only will you scare the living poop outta people, it'll add an extra 100 MPH if the horns are pointed to the rear! Can't see over that 18 wheeler? No problem, just install the horns facing downwards. Guaranteed to propel you and your bike bike up above that semi.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Horn placement

Here are a couple snapshots of mine. I tucked the fuses back and away, then installed horn under side cover. Has worked fine, but my plan is to move the fuses to a more accessible location in the future. The horn worked like a charm and came in real handy the very day after I installed. Had to get someone's attention as they started to merge into me. They must have thought I was a car as they backed off pretty quick.

If memory serves me, I just used one of the lines from stock to hook the WOLO into the horn button. Left the stock ones where they were for lack of having anything better to put there yet. Taped off the unused terminals and tucked under the panels covering the front of frame by tank.

IMG-20120427-00039.jpg

IMG-20120427-00041.jpg

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Want a horn that will get you noticed? Go get one of these. Not only will you scare the living poop outta people, it'll add an extra 100 MPH if the horns are pointed to the rear! Can't see over that 18 wheeler? No problem, just install the horns facing downwards. Guaranteed to propel you and your bike bike up above that semi.
HOLY CRAP!!! LMAO :beerchug:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here are a couple snapshots of mine. I tucked the fuses back and away, then installed horn under side cover. Has worked fine, but my plan is to move the fuses to a more accessible location in the future. The horn worked like a charm and came in real handy the very day after I installed. Had to get someone's attention as they started to merge into me. They must have thought I was a car as they backed off pretty quick.

If memory serves me, I just used one of the lines from stock to hook the WOLO into the horn button. Left the stock ones where they were for lack of having anything better to put there yet. Taped off the unused terminals and tucked under the panels covering the front of frame by tank.

View attachment 5021

View attachment 5022
Thank you for the pics. That helps. Does the sound get somewhat muffled since it's inside the the side cover btw which side? I am sure it's loud enough that it doesn't matter. Just wondering. lol

I have seen others that have installed near the shifter. just don't how that works.

Thanks again for your pics...

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Sound

Not muffled very much. I didn't want it hanging off the front near radiator, so that is why I chose to hide beneath the cover on the left side.

I actually looked for some type air horn that could be a straight bolt on to replace the front two on the fork. Anything tubular, but could not find any.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts