Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I've noticed a condition where steam is rising up in front of the handlebars while riding lately. I can't imagine this is normal. Any ideas on what is causing this? My temp gauge doesn't register any reading at all either, and it's cold outside currently too.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Definitely an issue, I'd say you need to look at the thermostat, check the thermometer wiring, and overall check the whole cooling system.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Will do. Any tips for troubleshooting? How long does it take for the temp gauge to rise/engine to warm up?

·
Registered
775 Posts
It usually takes mine about 5 minutes of just idling for the temp gauge needle to start to rise. It won't get up to full temp for a couple of miles, usually. On cold days the needle may never get all the way to the halfway point, but on hot Florida summer days it just barely goes past the halfway point, that's what I consider "full hot"

As for troubleshooting, I guess just seeing if the radiator is full, if the water pump is flowing coolant, if the thermostat will open. It sounds like coolant is getting trapped somewhere and boiling off, which is creating the steam.

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
In cool weather, mine can idle 10-15 min. before it reaches normal temp.

Are you sure it's steam? Your bike is earshaved, right? After I did it on mine, with the crank breather mounted beside the neck, once in a while I would see a bit of smoke passing in front of the headlight while stopped at a red light.

If it is steam, those o-rings on the coolant tubes at each head are prone to leaking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts