Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleaned that carb and got it back in (a miracle) and I SEEM to have my power back - I can actually get it up to 60 when only in 3rd gear.

Now, it seems that when I am going that fast and I pull in the clutch and let off the throttle - the RPMs stay around 4500 - 5000 until I slow down. IT COULD be a timing thing that after a while the RPMs will go down - but in the short time I have test driven it it seems that the RPMs start to go down again when I slow down to about 20 mph. Other than that it seems to idle right around 1100 RPM. (Dumb question) Is this normal??

Also, the bike bike has a gassy smell (yea) and I really notice it after a ride. I had two co-workers come to me already commenting on it. THE PROBLEM EXISTED BEFORE THE CARB CLEAN. No leaks, nothing.... I do know that the old spark plugs I pulled out were black - if that helps.

Now - I have not tuned my carb and I don't really know how to - so that could be it and something I have to learn / do next.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Cleaned that carb and got it back in (a miracle) and I SEEM to have my power back - I can actually get it up to 60 when only in 3rd gear.

Now, it seems that when I am going that fast and I pull in the clutch and let off the throttle - the RPMs stay around 4500 - 5000 until I slow down. IT COULD be a timing thing that after a while the RPMs will go down - but in the short time I have test driven it it seems that the RPMs start to go down again when I slow down to about 20 mph. Other than that it seems to idle right around 1100 RPM. (Dumb question) Is this normal??

Also, the bike bike has a gassy smell (yea) and I really notice it after a ride. I had two co-workers come to me already commenting on it. THE PROBLEM EXISTED BEFORE THE CARB CLEAN. No leaks, nothing.... I do know that the old spark plugs I pulled out were black - if that helps.

Now - I have not tuned my carb and I don't really know how to - so that could be it and something I have to learn / do next.
as for the rpm's not going down you have something binding in the throttle cables ,return spring or your cables are in a bind or misadjusted I'd look at the carb with the engine off and see if the trottle linkage is returning to position after you twist he throttle back to the off position,I would fix that problem before I did any thing else, it will get you hurt!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as for the rpm's not going down you have something binding in the throttle cables ,return spring or your cables are in a bind or misadjusted I'd look at the carb with the engine off and see if the trottle linkage is returning to position after you twist he throttle back to the off position,I would fix that problem before I did any thing else, it will get you hurt!!!
So you think it eventually just snaps back into place after a while/slow down?

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
So you think it eventually just snaps back into place after a while/slow down?
More like the engines vibrations are shaking it as you let it come back down I think you have it very close to right and it still lacks just a little because it eventually does come back down on its own,Right?it could be a throttle cable or a linkage or throttle plate rubbing,but since our bikes are new enough to have push- pull throttles it should back off when you twist it back manually.Provided nothing is rubbing on something else or out of adjustment. With the bike in neutral open it up a little while running and watch real close where the cables go in their respective holes on the carb linkage,if it doesn't idle back down immediately when you close the throttle twist grip take a screw driver and push them back into place where they are supposed to be at idle and see if the pressure you applied caused it to Idle down ,if it did something is in a bind and it doesn't take much to cause a sticky throttle, so look closely.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts