Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry to say I lost a good friend this weekend in a motorcycle accident. I got a call last night from one of my best buddies, a mutual friend, as we all played ball and worked together for many years. Jon Seymour was 44 years old and was on his way in to work Saturday morning on his bike, coming up on an intersection where a farm road came to a "T" on US 290 (the highway Jon was on heading east) from Jon's right. Details are sketchy, but apparently a young girl in a Honda Civic was coming the other direction (west) on 290, when she decided to turn left onto the farm road and hit Jon head on as she cut in front of him. Obviously she didn't see him, and she was apparently on her cell phone! I haven't talked to his family, but from reading the reports, it looks like he died Monday. He was wearing a helmet but that's all I know.
After Carlos told me last night and I got over the shock, we talked for a long time about what Jon meant to us and the impact he had on our lives. He was a strong Christian guy and just a calm and cool dude with a great attitude "all" the time, always with a smile, and an amazing ball player. We probably played softball together for 15 years and he was one of those guys that you wondered why he didn't play in the pros. I can remember many times where a ball was hit in the left center gap and Jon would take off from left with a burst of speed, and those smooth, long strides and go totally horizontal 5 or 6 feet off the ground and snag the line drive, then the poor base runners would be scrambling to get back, and I would brace myself at third base for the cannon shot throw that was coming back in to me or Jon's brother Billy at 2nd base. Many a base runner got forced out trying to get back to their bag after one of Jon's acrobatic catches because of his incredible throwing arm, and his amazing speed and ability to cover ground. I've even seen him force someone out back at 1st base a time or two. The fun we had all those years and great friendships we formed playing ball are times I'll never forget.

I miss him now, and I'm sad for his family, but I know we'll see him again in Heaven!

I got a little off track. Sorry! But just remember when you approach any intersection, slow down and be prepared!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Sorry to hear the loss of a friend Fergy. His family and you are in my prayers.

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Dear Fergy,

I am so sorry to hear this exceedingly painful news. Jon, you, your families, and all involved are in my prayers.

Charlie

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
The laws concerning hands free cell phones while driving are coming way too late, and we are losing many a good person in the meantime.
I am so sorry for your loss and healing prayers go to Joe's family and friends left behind to deal with his passing.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Sorry to hear of the loss fergy. His family and friends are in my prayers.

My family has long made a practice of offering a prayer for safety while travelling on a long trip. Perhaps I (we) should be taking a few moments to bow my head and ask for protection every time I get behind the wheel or on the bike.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Sorry to hear of this Fergy.
Thoughts and prayers from me too.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the prayers and I know his family does too.
Jon is one of those people that you know you are a better person for having known him. When I was around him, he inspired me to want to be a better person. It's hard to explain, but he had this impact on everyone who knew him...
I forgot to mention that he was a designated organ donor. You always wonder why this happens to good people, but I can't help but feel like there is someone out there who's life will be saved as a result of Jon's death. Who knows the circumstances behind that...

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
So sorry that such a good friend and example to others is gone Home. Prayers for everyone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Its a small world, I have a close friend who was related to him.
He was a good man. Prayers and thoughts.

Travis

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the prayers and I know his family does too.
Jon is one of those people that you know you are a better person for having known him. When I was around him, he inspired me to want to be a better person. It's hard to explain, but he had this impact on everyone who knew him...
I forgot to mention that he was a designated organ donor. You always wonder why this happens to good people, but I can't help but feel like there is someone out there who's life will be saved as a result of Jon's death. Who knows the circumstances behind that...
By your description of him it sounds like several lives were saved as a result of his life Fergy. That's really saying something. Makes me try to look for the good in the people who are important to me in my life. My best to you and all those affected.

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
This sadly has been played out too many times, as the number one killer of motorcycle riders is the oncoming car turning left , and into , the bike. Head on crashes are the worst no matter what vehicle is involved and if one of them happens to be a motorcycle ,the results are just about always pretty bad.

Always slow down at intersections, especialy if there is oncoming traffic. Expect to be cut off and plan what to do if it happens.

Although this kind of accident can happen even if the driver is not talking on a cell phone, I urge that you write or call your local representatives and plead for hands off only phone use laws for all vehicles.

KM

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Fergy, I'm terribly moved by your two posts, and my prayers and condolences to you and your friends family. You said he was a strong Christian guy and he had a big impact on your life. What a wonderful testimony. Add to that his thoughtfulness of others through his generous gift of organ donation, and you can see how even in death his life makes a big impact on so many others. I've assisted many times with the organ donation process and I can tell you that it gives hope to the family of the donor in a way nothing else on earth ever could. Most of all, his strong faith in Christ will give hope to his family in a way nothing else in heaven or earth ever could. You're a good friend Fergy, and we're all blessed to have you with us.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss Fergy. Good on you for remembering what made him a wonderful person in life, rather than letting death define him. I'm certain Jon was proud to have friends like you.

·
Registered
411 Posts
A little late in coming, but pegs down, Fergie.

--FA

·
Registered
491 Posts
Fergy --

I'm saddened about fellow motorcyclist Jon's death and your loss. It sounds like he was truly an exceptional person. I've been riding on and off most of my life since the 1960's but as I get older I feel more vulnerable and paranoid about cages. Here in Florida each year the streets become more crowded and dangerous as the population grows. Incidents like this make me seriously think about giving up riding which is one of my few remaining joys.

Please accept my condolences.

I'm sorry to say I lost a good friend this weekend in a motorcycle accident. I got a call last night from one of my best buddies, a mutual friend, as we all played ball and worked together for many years. Jon Seymour was 44 years old and was on his way in to work Saturday morning on his bike, coming up on an intersection where a farm road came to a "T" on US 290 (the highway Jon was on heading east) from Jon's right. Details are sketchy, but apparently a young girl in a Honda Civic was coming the other direction (west) on 290, when she decided to turn left onto the farm road and hit Jon head on as she cut in front of him. Obviously she didn't see him, and she was apparently on her cell phone! I haven't talked to his family, but from reading the reports, it looks like he died Monday. He was wearing a helmet but that's all I know.
After Carlos told me last night and I got over the shock, we talked for a long time about what Jon meant to us and the impact he had on our lives. He was a strong Christian guy and just a calm and cool dude with a great attitude "all" the time, always with a smile, and an amazing ball player. We probably played softball together for 15 years and he was one of those guys that you wondered why he didn't play in the pros. I can remember many times where a ball was hit in the left center gap and Jon would take off from left with a burst of speed, and those smooth, long strides and go totally horizontal 5 or 6 feet off the ground and snag the line drive, then the poor base runners would be scrambling to get back, and I would brace myself at third base for the cannon shot throw that was coming back in to me or Jon's brother Billy at 2nd base. Many a base runner got forced out trying to get back to their bag after one of Jon's acrobatic catches because of his incredible throwing arm, and his amazing speed and ability to cover ground. I've even seen him force someone out back at 1st base a time or two. The fun we had all those years and great friendships we formed playing ball are times I'll never forget.

I miss him now, and I'm sad for his family, but I know we'll see him again in Heaven!

I got a little off track. Sorry! But just remember when you approach any intersection, slow down and be prepared!

·
Registered
273 Posts
(head bowed)

Another rider going to that big motorcycle rally. Fergie, prayers to everyone involved. :notworthy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts