Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am about ready to send my stator in for a heavy duty rewind.
It was still functioning when my engine went to H*LL, ......upon tear down, I discovered a few of the stator plates had shifted (has become out of alignment) in/on one section.

QUESTION: Do they rewind my Stator, or send me another (already) rewound stator ?
Is my stator repairable/rewindable ?

any thoughts will be appreciated.
thanks in advance
WilliamTech
:smiley_th

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
It really depends on the shop. I've seen some that wind on demand and some that have inventory. If they already have one, that's good for you because its less turnaround time.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
I read somewhere... If you contact TPE you can send pics and they'll tell you if it looks like they can rewind your stator or if it's good enough to use as a core.

·
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I read somewhere... If you contact TPE you can send pics and they'll tell you if it looks like they can rewind your stator or if it's good enough to use as a core.

Posted pics of my damaged Stator in my album of "Damaged Balance Gear.....
Examining the construction of stator, I would think this stator IS rewindable.....

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Are you sending it to Tim Parrott?

I asked a local rewind shop what it would cost to rewind mine.
It would have cost $2-300. About twice as much as a new one from a dealer.
TPE would still be the best deal even for me up here north of the 49th.

·
2,527 Posts
I spoke to TPE last year about my buddys stator, I'm pretty sure you send it in and you get the same one back, although I believe he does have some ready to go too.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
looking at the photos...IMO it is not useable...but I am no expert.

I wouldn't feel comfortable re-using that one since the end plates are deformed. It could start another chain reaction if a piece hits or comes loose in there.

·
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
looking at the photos...IMO it is not useable...but I am no expert.

I wouldn't feel comfortable re-using that one since the end plates are deformed. It could start another chain reaction if a piece hits or comes loose in there.
Yeah, I don't think I'll chance it with a Rewind. I do have another Stator to send TPE.

Next question... I desire to obtain TPE's High Output Stator...

Will the stock R/R handle the High Output Stator ?

tia

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Next question... I desire to obtain TPE's High Output Stator...

Will the stock R/R handle the High Output Stator ?

tia
That is sort of a subjective question William...in theory it should.
The R/R will shunt what is not used....so it depends on how much extra output you get from the high output stator, and if you are adding any loads to require the extra output.

If you add amperage from the stator, the regulator will be required to "shunt" more power if you are not using the extra power as added accessories. This will cause the R/R to run hotter....not sure of the limits of the shunting ability of the stock stator. but it will obviously cause some stress.

What is your setup...meaning:
What is the extra amperage you are adding
What added items have you added to the stock system in the way of current draw?

If you balance the added power with added current draw, then you should be fine.

·
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That is sort of a subjective question William...in theory it should.
The R/R will shunt what is not used....so it depends on how much extra output you get from the high output stator, and if you are adding any loads to require the extra output.

If you add amperage from the stator, the regulator will be required to "shunt" more power if you are not using the extra power as added accessories. This will cause the R/R to run hotter....not sure of the limits of the shunting ability of the stock stator. but it will obviously cause some stress.

What is your setup...meaning:
What is the extra amperage you are adding
What added items have you added to the stock system in the way of current draw?

If you balance the added power with added current draw, then you should be fine.
My thoughts:
When replacing the Stator, why not replace with a Heavy Duty/High Output one.
I have a gxtreme manufactured Tuxedo Style Stator Mod plate to install as well..
In time, I will be adding two more driving/headlights, (KC's light Bar) but do intend to go all LED tail & turn lights. I have an Air Horn as well.

·
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
do you know what the rated output is as opposed to the stock stator?
No, I have not seen TPE spec's on it...

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Had a long chat with Jack at Roadstercycle the other night, talking about the stator troubles I ran into.

One thing he mentioned, that in some cases it can be bad for the R/R to switch to all LEDs. All the power savings results in more power that the R/R must shunt off. The stator has one speed, wide open, so any juice you don't use has to be shunted to ground by the R/R. I guess the thing to do would be to evaluate whether you need to conserve power or use it up, depending on the level of power output you have.

I'll probably have my stator rewound at TPE. The Electrosport has a lifetime guarantee, but the TPE has a better longevity record, from what I've been able to dig up. I've got a motor shop close by, will probably check with them before I decide.

·
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had a long chat with Jack at Roadstercycle the other night, talking about the stator troubles I ran into.

One thing he mentioned, that in some cases it can be bad for the R/R to switch to all LEDs. All the power savings results in more power that the R/R must shunt off. The stator has one speed, wide open, so any juice you don't use has to be shunted to ground by the R/R. I guess the thing to do would be to evaluate whether you need to conserve power or use it up, depending on the level of power output you have.

I'll probably have my stator rewound at TPE. The Electrosport has a lifetime guarantee, but the TPE has a better longevity record, from what I've been able to dig up. I've got a motor shop close by, will probably check with them before I decide.
I sent my Stator pic to TPE for judgement, No problem, he will realign plates, bond securely then rewind. Cost to rewind , $65.00 shipping is $12 turn around in 2 to 3 days.....

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Why not go with a mosfet regulator for your newly rewound stator?

I bought mine used off a ZX10 ninja for $39 shipped! I still haven't gotten it in the mail though.

thtanner has one from a ZX14 and he says it's much more efficient than the stock unit we have... gets the same 14.6V from idle to redline.

Same seller I bought it from has another one for sale at the same price:

I looked at the tracking info and it was already delivered at an address in the U.S., now I just gotta wait for someone to bring it to me. I'll probably have it installed this weekend. If you want I'll let you know if everything goes well so you know if you can trust the seller.

EDIT: Now that I have the R/R with me, I don't think I bought a mosfet one lol. This one has 6 pins, as opposed to the mosfet R/Rs which have 5. I think I just bought a prettier, newer R/R. The ones from the ZX14 ARE mosfets though, I just mistakenly thought the ones from a ZX10 were the same.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts