Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, after needing a jump this morning (not originally due to low batt, but after it was drained trying to start a flooded engine), I got it to work (about 10 miles). time to come home, I barely got it started (slow crank main issue), and when I got home, I checked the battery voltage... Keep in mind I rode home (10 miles)

multiple choice:
A. 14.2
B. 12.8
C: 10.6
D: 8.9

if you guessed C: 10.6, you win

I checked AC at the connector to my mosfet, and well, lets say my nice $177 meter made me cry... barely 1 volt, regardless of rpm.

Looks like I get to use them parts I bought 2+ yrs ago when I thought my stator was bad, and only needed an R/R.

·
Registered
132 Posts
These bikes are brilliant to ride its just a pity they are dogged with charging problems,Going through same crap now three years after replacing stator and r/r, gonna use a mosfet this time and see.......Whats the definition of insanity? Ans- doing the same thing over and over again and getting same results ,One two three, The mouse ran up the tree !!!

·
Registered
769 Posts
in your sig you gave me the greatest hope, teddybear: "original stator (as far as I know)" on an '05 with 33k.

Now you make me worry! I have the stator cover pulled to do the balance dampers with the factory stator + RR.

Looking up how to tuxedo mod it and how much it costs so I don't ave to pull this damn engine again if the stator DOES go bad...

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
in your sig you gave me the greatest hope, teddybear: "original stator (as far as I know)" on an '05 with 33k.

Now you make me worry! I have the stator cover pulled to do the balance dampers with the factory stator + RR.

Looking up how to tuxedo mod it and how much it costs so I don't ave to pull this damn engine again if the stator DOES go bad...
If you have over 25k miles.. swap stator while it's out with another OEM and enjoy another 25-35k of care-free riding.

I'm not bothering to do the tux mod on my 90. It's not really worth it if you use quality parts to replace the stator.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I only have 17k but I plan to put a lot more miles on this thing, seeing as I ride probably 4-6k per year given my history.

I never want to do this damned engine pull again, so I may just make my own. Can't really justify spending $70 for the plate and hardware when I like to fabricate stuff and have the side cover off the motor right now anyhow.

Very conflicted! I wanna ride my bike. (But I can wait another week to save myself a headache down the road if I wind up needing to do a stator within the next 2-3 years)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I only have 17k but I plan to put a lot more miles on this thing, seeing as I ride probably 4-6k per year given my history.
OMG, I must ride too much then by your "history" lol. I normally put on about 12k-18k per year on all my previous bikes. No wonder they were in the shop and the mechanics knew me by my credit card :p . When I got my Suzi GS550L it had just a shy over 7k, when I lost her (dont ask, thats another thread of misfortune) she had over 47K and only had her for 3 years.

On a side note, what is why on one comment I had I said I wanted to learn how to work on this bike. So shes not in the shop as much :p .

·
Registered
769 Posts
Well, this is one of my 3 vehicles, the others being my DD (2014 Mazda 3) and my 4x4 toy (1992 Nissan Pathfinder) and I'm doing a rough estimate on the miles. Bought it... 1 year ago? Went from 13k->17k with lots of downtime.

Huh maybe I don't ride all that much... But I don't want to DREAD the stator failure, just be peeved in the wallet by it ;) haha

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have read that these bikes were originally set up by the manufacturer to run within a few amps, so by fitting LED,HID or extra lights you can either over use or under use the electrical system, so you think you are doing your bike a favour by installing these mods but your just slowly frying your r/r and stator,I hope the mosfet will deal with this problem and I can attach anything I wish with no more issues

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I have read that these bikes were originally set up by the manufacturer to run within a few amps, so by fitting LED,HID or extra lights you can either over use or under use the electrical system, so you think you are doing your bike a favour by installing these mods but your just slowly frying your r/r and stator,I hope the mosfet will deal with this problem and I can attach anything I wish with no more issues
Absolutely correct. MOSFET will help. Some models are 30A but the majority (FH020AA) are 50A output, enough for most accessories.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, engine is out and sitting on my 'workbench'. Less then 3 hrs to pull. Took my time too.

Realized just how outta shape I am. Had to have neighbor help carry it into the lanai where my 'workbench' is.

Also found dead bad throttle cables when I was taking the carbs off (they need cleaning anyway)

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
You're on your way mtb. Should be ready for the cables when they arrive. As I always say... No one escapes the stator job. >:)

Have never regretted having the voltmeter to monitor charge status while riding. It's also helped me uncover and cure some problems in the Junction Box.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
another update, this morning I spent about 45 minutes, and have the cover off, stator out (visibly fried, I will post pic later), damper bolt broken loose and flywheel bolt out. Just need to find the M18 bolt to use for pulling the flywheel.

then I get to put it all back together

·
Registered
132 Posts
It is a big old lump of metal so wise decision!. I hooked up my cheap Chinese mosfet to see if improvement to charging problems and when starting from cold got a good reading of 14.5v but after riding round block when hot, reading is a static 12.6v and r/r is too hot to touch so I am sure stator is damaged, I noticed you had fitted a mosfet on your machine but at least you got 33k out of stator, I think that is pretty good really for these VN's.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
will also report that at close to 40k miles (I need to update my sig), the dampers looked pretty good too.

I am gonna stand by a couple of statements I made a while ago, which basically say change the oil often, with quality oil, and they need to be ridden to keep the rubber in the dampers from drying out.

·
Registered
132 Posts
FH020AA

Absolutely correct. MOSFET will help. Some models are 30A but the majority (FH020AA) are 50A output, enough for most accessories.
These fh020aa's have a small number printed on them which varies something like 2.9 or 5.1 cant remember exactly without going through searches, but is this significant to the one I should use or just a type/model number.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
These fh020aa's have a small number printed on them which varies something like 2.9 or 5.1 cant remember exactly without going through searches, but is this significant to the one I should use or just a type/model number.
All that really matters is the model FH020AA.

·
Registered
132 Posts
well, finally got my stator out inbetween the Hail storms, Now i have the envious job of putting it all back together,( its not that bad really) one thing, they are nice to work on.

Reactions: thtanner

·
Registered
769 Posts
mine is out too, just waiting for a free evening to strip and spray it while I have it out

(also helps me procrastinate on the reinstall. That engine was hell to get out and I don't wanna put it back in alone)

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the only part that *I* had trouble with on re-assembly was getting the engine back in frame.. it was tough to do because of my ****ty floor jack and doing it by myself.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts