Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I was wondering if someone here could answer a quick question for me please. I was looking at the wires coming out of the stator on my 1990 and noticed that all but one of these wires is connected to a wire by the battery box. Are all three wires supposed to be connected or is there a spare?

The reason I ask is that I bought this bike last week and found out today that the battery is not charging. I get 12.6V at 4500 RPM and I'm praying there's not a stator replacement in my future. I'm hoping that this disconnected wire is the cause of all my problems as I just don't have the facilities to pull a motor and work on it for a stator replacement and the local Kaw dealer wants $1200 to replace it for me.

thanks for all your help!

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Hello all. I was wondering if someone here could answer a quick question for me please. I was looking at the wires coming out of the stator on my 1990 and noticed that all but one of these wires is connected to a wire by the battery box. Are all three wires supposed to be connected or is there a spare?

The reason I ask is that I bought this bike last week and found out today that the battery is not charging. I get 12.6V at 4500 RPM and I'm praying there's not a stator replacement in my future. I'm hoping that this disconnected wire is the cause of all my problems as I just don't have the facilities to pull a motor and work on it for a stator replacement and the local Kaw dealer wants $1200 to replace it for me.

thanks for all your help!
all three should be connected there are male and female bullet connectors that they plug into individually and they can be plugged into any one,It doesn't matter which of the three go where,but all three should be connected.

·
Now what
400 Posts
Go to http://tinyurl.com/233zkdr and download the electrical fault finding chart. You can follow the steps to help figure out what's wrong.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
if it is the stator you dont need a lot to do the job, I did mine in an 8x8 metal shed with a slightly above basic set of tools and a couple small car jacks in two days!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Plug the 3rd stator wire in and check charging status before you get all shook up thinking you need a stator replacement.
You probably just have a disconnected wire.

A stator failure no longer requires an engine pull to replace it with this $20 modification to the engine case.:smiley_th
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16839

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much everyone. I'm going to check it out further and see what I need to do next.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone. I connected the stator wire that was disconnected and now I get a nice 13.6V across almost all RPMs. I was getting 11V at idle and now it's up to 12.8V. So Im hoping that's done and now I can start on a tune up and new spark plugs.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone. I connected the stator wire that was disconnected and now I get a nice 13.6V across almost all RPMs. I was getting 11V at idle and now it's up to 12.8V. So Im hoping that's done and now I can start on a tune up and new spark plugs.
Great ,now I would suggest that if you have time to,check every connection you can get to and clean them and apply dielectric grease.t will save lots of future problems and give you time to enjoy your riding more.

·
Premium Member
4,748 Posts
X2^ A can of plastic safe electrical contact cleaner spray makes getting into those hard to reach places easier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts